Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schmicksa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Is a verbal agreement legally binding in the state of PA?
    Perhaps I had a verbal agreement to pay a loan that the parents of my now ex-wife had taken out for us. Now that we are not together any more, for more than three years, and I'm still paying this loan payment, am I legally bound to keep doing so, or not? I know the moral thing to do would be to offer to pay half, and I'm going to assume that with equitable distribution, she would have to be responsible for some of, if not half of the balance. What are my options at this point? There was never any paper work drawn up or signed by either myself or them regarding any particular payment plan, other than us agreeing to pay the regular payments.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 02:03 PM

Hello s:

You DID have an agreement, because people don't pay back gifts. Yes, of course the agreement is binding, and they have proof to back it up.

Moral, schmoral. Sue the ex for her half of the payments.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 04:40 PM

Perhaps you had a verbal agreement. This is in the same category as "I don't recall."

Someone owes them the money - I say split it 50/50.

Or you pay it and sue your wife for the other half.

And, yes, verbal agreements are binding. If you can prove it was a gift to you, then go to Court and prove it. They will argue it was not and the Court will decide.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 04:42 PM

All debts should have been explained and settled in the divorce settlement as to who pays what debt, who gets what property.

So what did it say about debts owed ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 05:18 PM

Good catch - I assumed (and we all know what that means) that the fact he is making payments meant he was ordered to make payments.

You may very well be 100% correct.

Waiting for OP to reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement- Binding or No? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in Ohio. I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting. He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his...

Roommate leaving- is a verbal agreement for the time she will pay rent binding in OHIO [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. My husband and I allowed a friend to move in to our house until she got back on her feet. Well, she's on her feet, makes plenty of money, never paid her rent on time, etc... general roommate horrors. Now, we asked her to leave about two weeks ago and that she be out by mid...

Is a verbal agreement legally binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law is visiting us in Arkansas and was considering moving here. He looked at some homes for sale, and made a verbal offer (no realtors or paperwork involved) on a house. The seller counter-offered, but would not come down far enough. My f-i-l never signed any paperwork or offered...

Is a verbal agreement witnessed by a third party a legal binding? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ohio and made a verbal agreement with a lady to buy a home, we had a verbal agreement between me and her she also made this agreement known with my mortgage broker as well... so in Ohio law will that make it a legal binding contract?

Unsigned lease, but verbal commitment - legally binding? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently leased a large commercial space in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but have not yet signed the lease. I have paid 2 months rent as a deposit, and was given 3 months rent free to do renovations. I am now in my first week of business, and things are very slow. What I need to know is, am I...

View more questions Search