Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xodiana Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 06:29 AM
    IRR of a project
    I had this as a homework problem & the back of the book had a different answer. If you could just tell me where I made my mistake.

Consider a project with the following cash flows.
    Year Cash Flow
    0 -$16,000
    1 $42,000
    2 -$27,000

What's the IRR of the project? If a firm's cost of capital is 15%, should the firm accept the project?

I just simply entered this problem into my calculator under the Finance IRR application. IRR (-16,000, cash flows of 42,000 & - 27,000 which I had in list L1) and it gave me 12.5%which is lower than the cost of capital so you would reject it. The back of my book said the correct answer was 12.5% and 50% accept the project.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 17, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xodiana
    I had this as a homework problem & the back of the book had a different answer. If you could just tell me where I made my mistake.

Consider a project with the following cash flows.
    Year Cash Flow
    0 -$16,000
    1 $42,000
    2 -$27,000

What's the IRR of the project? If a firm's cost of capital is 15%, should the firm accept the project?

I just simply entered this problem into my calculator under the Finance IRR application. IRR (-16,000, cash flows of 42,000 & - 27,000 which I had in list L1) and it gave me 12.5%which is lower than the cost of capital so you would reject it. The back of my book said the correct answer was 12.5% and 50% accept the project.
    When you say "the correct answer was 12.5% and 50% accept the project", what do you mean by "50% accept the project"? Can you elaborate on that part? Not sure what this means.
    xodiana Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
    In the back of the book it said the IRR was 12.5% and 50% and the second part of the answer said accept the project

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Project, uses for a box [ 5 Answers ]

I need help with a project. I need to know several uses for a cardboard box.

Project NPV [ 2 Answers ]

How do I figure out NPV if I purchased a dryer for $6000, sell the old one for $2,000. New dryer will last for appx 6 yeas saving me $1,500 on a yearly expense. The opportunity cost of capital is 16% and the tax rate is 40%, how do I figure out the NPV?

Tech Project [ 4 Answers ]

Can you help us to get any info on the Taj Mahal and the Opera House. Send the info as soon as possible.:confused: :confused:

Doing a project and need help [ 1 Answers ]

Hey. I am doing a project on sports medicine where I have to "sell" the occupation to my classmates so that they want to do it. But, I need some info. What kind of schooling do you have to go through? I know it depends on your job in sports medicine. What's the average salary? Any good site?...

View more questions Search