Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passion68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Filing Taxes while on SSI
    I receive S.S.I. and want to file income taxes to receive the earned income credit for my 2 children. Is this possible? I have sole custody of the children and the father only gets the children every other weekend for visitation which does not equate to 6 months out of the year of them being with him, which is my understanding to be able to claim them on taxes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 07:25 AM

What does the Court Order say about this? That will prevail.
    passion68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What does the Court Order say about this? That will prevail.

There is no court order concerning this matter of filing them on income tax. He gets only 1 children every other weekend and does not pay 100% of the child's care and living expenses.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 07:45 AM

SSI benefits is not income. It this is your only income, you will not get earned income credit.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 17, 2009, 06:11 PM

MukatA is 100% correct.

You must attempt to find some kind of employment, even part time, before you can be eligible for the EIC.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
    However, SSI probably DOES qualify to get the Recovery Rebate Credit (carryover from the Bush Economic Stimulus Rebate) and the upcoming Obama Economic Stimulus Rebate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married Filing Separately - Spouse non-resident, not filing you.s. Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is a Canadian resident. We got married in the US in April 2008. We are separated and did not live together during the 2008 tax year and my husband has never lived in the US and has never earned any US income. I am planning to file...

Filing taxes after bankruptcy filing [ 4 Answers ]

We filed for chapter7 personal bankruptcy in 2007. We gave up our house and business (franchise) because we could get fresh start. We wiped out ~200k in debt in the process.WE lost ~50OK in EQUITY from the house and money initially invested over the last 3 years in the business. Do you recommend...

Filing taxes after 2 years of not filing [ 3 Answers ]

I have not filed taxes for 2 years (2004, 2005) and I do not have the requisite documentation from those years. I do know that the IRS owed me a refund; I did not owe them any taxes. How does one file without this documentation? And do I need to file these years before I file for 2006?

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search