Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgttime Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Rotten egg smell from cold water
    We have a new house with a new well and get a rotten egg smell periodically from some of the cold water faucets. The contractor found there wasn't a cap on a vent pipe that is located under the kitchen sink and replaced it (I don't see pipes coming through the roof only the one under the kitchen sink). I still smell a faint smell. It has always been just when we turn the water on and not on all faucets. I don't know whether it's a inside problem of with our well. We had a time locating water and are down 700 feet through granite and still had to frag the well to get at least 4-7 gallons per minute. After a year we still have to change our filters frequently and they are covered in large amounts of black fine material that heavily coates them and have some material that gets through the filters. I do worry about it being in the water. So is it a plumbing or well problem (I bet you can guess what the builder wants it to be) or am I overthinking everything, you think?
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Mar 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Have your water tested for Sulphur content.

You may need better filtration, but Sulphur is hard to get rid of.

Regards,
    Stew

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Rotten Egg Hot Water [ 18 Answers ]

I know several questions have been posted on this topic, but here is my situation and I am hoping someone will have a few words of wisdom. My home is 2 yrs old and I am on well water-very hard well water. I had no problems with taste, smell etc. except the hard water spots until now. In Feb....

Don't know where rotten smell from [ 5 Answers ]

My master bedroom (bathroom?) has this rotten smell that I can't trace to anything. We have a septic tank but all the other bathrooms are fine. I checked the attic and found no dead animal or anything. The smell is sometimes strong sometimes weak. It is not obvious that the smell is from a...

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

Cold Water H2S Smell [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Plumbing Expert: Our 6-year old house is on city water. About a month ago we noticed a strong H2S smell from one of the master bathroom sinks (second floor), when water was turned on. Further examination has shown that the smell comes only from the COLD water supply, and only when first...

Rotten-egg / sewage smell in home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been experiencing a rotten-egg / sewage smell in my home. It occurs mainly in the summertime but it is not constant. The smell seems to be stirred up by two simultaneous events: (1) running water down the kitchen sink, and (2) the central air-conditioning kicking on. It is...

View more questions Search