Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackWolf Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Payment plan
    Hi,

I have been contacted by a collection agency to pay a $6000.00 debt which is legit.

I want to negotiate a payment plan.

What is the minimum monthly payment I should ask for that the agency will accept without taking me to court?

Thanks,

JackWolf
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Well, go with what you can afford, I don't think they can refuse a payment plan unless they have started procedres to sue you. But lets say you can afford 150 a month, offer them 100 cause they will always try and get you to agree to more, once they try and talk you into paying more than tell them you could probably go up to 150 a month, they will feel like they've won a small victory and will most likely harass you less if you pay on time each month.

I would say you would need to offer them at least 150 to pay this off in any kind of reasonable time but they may accept even less.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Hello Jack. Can you tell us how long it has been since you made any payment on this debt and who you originally owed?
    JackWolf Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Hello Jack. Can you tell us how long it has been since you made any payment on this debt and who you originally owed?

Hi,

I owe AMEX. It's a card based in the UK. They have tracked me down

The last bill I paid was around 4 months ago.

My goals are the following:

- avoid a lawsuit
    - weasel out of it completely - we have ascertained that that is unrealistic so I'd like to pay the bare minimum for as long as possible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
    We can't tell you what they will accept. They may accept 200 a month but then they may not either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plan To Get Married;Need Help [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm new here and I've been reading posts here. People here seem very helpful. Here Goes: My girlfriend and I love each other very much. People say when you meet the right person you just know. I'm 18 and she will be 18 in May. Granted we are young but we don't have that average high school...

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Business plan [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone answer me about these questions? In our area, we do not have direct competitors, so who are our other indirect competitors in our handicraft making business? Can you please give me some marketing strategies about it? How about pricing strategies? What things should we...

Plan B and the pill? [ 1 Answers ]

48 hours ago, a condom got stuck inside me and today I received my prescription for Plan B from my doctor. I just took my first dose of Plan B, waiting the mandatory 12 hours to take dosage number two. I AM on the pill, but my doctor suggested that I take Plan B since I had been very erratic with...

View more questions Search