Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alan283tv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2014, 04:13 AM
    How can I get my driver's license?
    The "Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Canada" ICBC. The government gave them certain powers to withhold licenses. They are the monopoly in this province for car insurance.

I was 19 years old and was in a car accident drinking and driving, hitting a homeless person resulting in a brain injury. As a result of this accident ICBC claimed that I owed them 2 million dollars because they had paid the person injured. I was sentenced to jail for 3 1/2 years and I served for 2 years jail term and was released. The person sued ICBC while in jail and I never had any money to pay them. They didn't pursue any recovery action except for a couple letters over the years saying I owe the money. I haven't paid anything. Since the debt is too old for 8 years now, is this passed the Limitation ACT and no longer enforceable? My suspended driver's license will expire Oct. 27, 2014. The Motor Vehicle Office informed me that I cannot get my driver's license until the 2 million dollar is paid. How can I get my driver's license? I have to look for a job and need a driver's license to drive to the client"s site. I need your help and advice. Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 15, 2014, 05:02 AM
    Please realize that this is a world site. What is ICBC? Are you in British Columbia?

I suspect that the only way you are going to be able to drive is to hire a lawyer to petition the court, or at least explain to you what your odds are of ever getting one. Call around and ask that second question over the phone.

There is a common misconception that an old debt is wiped clean, which just isn't true. If it were, we would all just wait. There is a deadline for getting a judgment, which in your case they did get.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2014, 05:12 AM
    Also pending information of where you are located. Such a judgement can be renewed infedinatetly some places. I personally know a guy who spent over 30 years hounding a drunk who owed him a significant ammount of money he won in a judgement against them due to a drunk driving accident... hiding money until he died and he got it from the drunks estate.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 15, 2014, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alan283tv View Post
    The Motor Vehicle Office informed me that I cannot get my driver's license until the 2 million dollar is paid. How can I get my driver's license?
    I am guessing your answer is right there....they want the money before they will issue a license. It works that way here in the states if you get fines...no license until paid.

I guess the others have mentioned a lawyer and at this point, that is about your only other option.
    alan283tv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2014, 05:21 AM
    I understand, and yes its the "Motor Vehicle Insurance Corporation Of British Columbia Canada" ICBC. They have the monopoly on car insurance because they are the only legal insurer for vehicles in this province and the government gave certain legal powers with drivers licenses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2014, 07:06 AM
    There is no way, You may be allowed, a limited license by a court, to drive to work.

But while, the debt may not be collectible, in civil court, that has no bearing, on withholding the drivers license. They can do that forever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver license [ 7 Answers ]

I live in memphis tenn. I went to get my drivers license they told me I have a warrant for speeding in barstow California and I have to make an appearance I have no way of getting there or money for attorney but to get this job I want I have to have a driver license what can I do?? Please help!

Last name is different on because and driver's license [ 4 Answers ]

I was born in Puerto Rico and my birth certificate has my dad's last name as my third name. My mom's last name as my last name, but all my documents are under my dad's last name. I am going on a cruise and my travel agent said that there is going to be a problem because my last name on my BC is...

Driver license [ 2 Answers ]

When was driver license first discover

View more questions Search