Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 11:17 AM
    We have a landlard that put in new pine trees and keeps turning on are water. We as r
    We have a landlard that put in new pine trees and keeps turning on are water. We as renters have to pay that pill. Today my wife was in the shower when he turned it on and the water got really hot so she jumped out. This is starting to get old. The lady next to me keeps turning hers off. The landlord told( YELLED) her he owns this property not us we just rent and if she turns the water off again we will get a E viction notice and a bill for damages to the trees. Can This OLD man get away with this?? He is now threating us to kick us out if we turn off the water. Note it will run for 6 hours or more.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 11:21 AM

First, the age of the landlord is immaterial and this is a cheap shot.

Otherwise - the landlord is using water on your meter (you have a separate water meter) to water HIS trees? He cannot do that. He can pay you for the water usage if you come to an agreement.

I have no idea what you mean about another tenant turning off the water - she goes out to the meter and shuts off the water? Or do you mean something else?

As far as your wife being in the shower and the landlord turning on the water - my husband will flush the toilet when I'm in the shower. That doesn't mean I can sue him. It's part of living in a house with other tenants... or a husband.

Jul 30, 2010, 11:28 AM

We live in a apartment complex.Its a garden hose hooked up out side. She justs turns off the garden hose and today he is telling us, if we turn it off again he will Evict us and charge us for the damages to the trees.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 12:11 PM

Do you have a lease? Are you month to month? What State? In some States there are very limited reasons you can be evicted. I don't think turning off a garden hose is one of them.

Is the landlord always like "this"?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2010, 12:22 PM

First, lets deal with who pays the water bill. Does each apartment have its own meter? If not, do you pay a fixed amount per month or do you get billed a share of the total bill? Or what? How many apartments are in the complex? Do you know whether the outside hose is connected to your meter or not?

As for the hot water being affected. Ask the landlord to install shower fixtures that do not permit that to happen. I'm not sure what they are called, but when I redid my downstairs bathroom, they installed that type of fixture.

But, the landlord is correct that its his property and he has the right to water the plantings.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:03 PM
    1 year lease. We get the bill from the city in my name, not his. State of Michigan. Yes, each apartment has their own meter. The hose is connected to the meter.

I see it this way. He is verbally harassing people hear by telling them he is going to evict them. We are going to call Better Business Burro.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2010, 12:12 PM

First, the Better Business Bureau is not going to do ANYTHING for you. All it might do is provide a warning about this landlord to other people who want to rent there in the future.

Second, if the hose is attached to YOUR meter and the meter is billed in your name, then you have a right to regulate who uses the water. So you (and the other tenants) write a letter (separately or jointly) to the landlord stating that while the property is his, the water is yours and you have the right to control its usage. If he wants to take care of the property, then he should install a separate water line on its own meter and he can water to his hearts content.

He cannot evict you over this. If he does send you a notice to vacate, let him take you to court and he will lose.

However, if you do this, plan on moving when your lease is up as he can make it uncomfortable for you to continue living there. You might want to offer a compromise where he compensates you for the amount of water he uses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trim pine trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a60 ft pine tree that I want to trim up About 3 feet from the ground. Will this harm the tree

Bees in my pine trees [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lot of bees that are in several of my pine trees. How do I get rid of them without hurting my trees?

Lawn Care After Removal of Pine Trees [ 1 Answers ]

I am having 18 pine trees removed from my yard (Wisconsin). The area under the trees is nothing but dirt. What will I need to do to repair my lawn?

My green pine trees [ 2 Answers ]

Can an Austrian pine tree be watered too much? I bought these 3 weeks ago and have watered every day thoroughly, now the green needles are falling off. I see no signs of pests.

My pine trees are killing everything. [ 1 Answers ]

What is it about pine trees that nothing will grow under or around them? I have three kind of scraggily pine trees in the fron yard, and I want to plant other things. What can I use to replenish the soil so that I can have a garden out there? I live in zone 24 on the western garden map. (that is...

View more questions Search