Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alexis Huffman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Civil suit credit card payment
    I am 27 years old I live in Texas. In 2004 my dad had cancer. I ended up losing my job so I stayed home to help take care of him. My credit card went to collections. I offered to make payments and they refused to work with me. They said that the only payment they would take was for me to give them a account number for them to take half now and half 300 days later. I am a college student and could not afford this so I refused payment. They have recently filed a civil suit against me and I have to go to court June 16. I still do not have they money to give them $1500.00 plus lawyer fees and court cost. I do not think I should be responsible for the lawyer fees and court cost because I offered to make payments of $ 100.00 a month and they refused. I would like some advice. Thanks for your time and help.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Terms were set in your agreement with the company.

They have no obligation to "work" with your or to accept less than what is outlined in your agreement with them.

If you are in violation of those terms, I'm sure the agreement allows for attorney fees, late fees, and what ever other fees are written in that agreement.

Given your statement, I believe they will prevail and receive the judgment.

Good luck with this!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card law suit [ 3 Answers ]

I lost a substantial % of my income for approximately 7 months. It will be restored in March 06. Amex, however is demanding payment in full, and wish to proceed to collection and possibly law suit. They say there's no room for leniency. I know I owe them money and have offered to pay a smaller...

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

Credit Card Law Suit [ 2 Answers ]

I was just served a notice I was being sued by a collection agency. I have 20 days till the next Monday or whatever. How soon can they garnish my bank account. Do they have to wait until the 20 days and I default. If I empty my bank account and leave 10 dollars what will happen? How long can they...

Credit Card Suit Against Me [ 1 Answers ]

In 1996, I obtained a credit card from Chase with a limit of $100. I thought the card had been paid off, so whenever I received correspondence from Chase, I discarded it because I assumed they were wanting me to increase my limit. I then started receiving calls from a collection agency that...

Cival suit for credit card debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I live in NC. Long story , but my wife owes 18,000 to a cc company that has now suing. We got the cival summons from the sherrif yesterday. Before anyone says anything, like get another job, that's what you get or to bad. All I want is information about the best way to proceed...

View more questions Search