Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelleyad Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2012, 08:37 AM
    If man & 1/2 can eat pie & 1/2 in 1 min. & 1/2 how many men to eat 17 pies in 30 min.
    Math brain teaser
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
    I think you may have an error in the way you stated the problem, as it works out to less than one man. I will restate the problem to make sure I understand it correctly: if a man and a half can eat a pie and a half in a minute and a half, how many men does it take to eat 17 pies in 30 minutes? Although perhaps I should think of this as riddle rather than a math question - after all how could anyone eat 17 pies at a go?

I like a different version of this brain teaser - one that almost always fools people unless they think carefully: if a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it it take one chicken to lay one egg?

Oct 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
    The question/riddle is asking how many men (plural) to eat 17 pies in 30 mins; are you saying this is unsolvable?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
    That would be ONE Adam Richman ;)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kelleyad View Post
    the question/riddle is asking how many men (plural) to eat 17 pies in 30 mins; are you saying this is unsolvable?
    Not at all, it's quite easy. Hint - the rate at which a single man can consume pies is 2/3 of a pie per minute. Which means all by himself a single man can consume 20 pies in 30 minutes, and hence to finish off only 17 pies takes one man less than 30 minutes.

Oct 15, 2012, 07:37 AM
    You're a genius! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search