Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olderguy46901 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Faulty fan when thermostat calls for "fan on"
    I was asked recently to get furnace going for a friend, it's a 7900 series Coleman in a 1980 trailer house,, I said "Replace it" but money is the issue so I would like to ask the community some questions about this unit or a resource which could help me troubleshoot this things woes. Using the digital thermostat , I set it for "fan on" but the motor only hummed, Burned out I think.The squirrel cage rotates but not under its own power,, this is problem one,, can a replacement motor be found or can I find a new downflow furnace for $$$ and just yank the old one out... thanks for reading and have a great week... olderguy
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 07:26 PM
    There is really no good way to answer this question without the catch 22 showing up.

First you might try a new run capacitor for the motor in question. They are cheap and may solve the problem if not then see the next line.

Blower motors are available for that unit since it does not take a special motor. Remove the blower assembly then remove motor and take it with you for a match up. When you get the new motor get a new run capacitor exactly as specified for use on the new motor. Then follow the directions on the new motor for wiring and you should be in business. While the unit is apart you might also clean the blower since it is probably very dirty in the air scoop areas. NOTE: Make sure to mark the areas where the motor wiring goes on the unit so you can reconnect to the correct terminals with the new motor.

Now for the catch 22 problem.

A 1980 mobile home furnace might be close to its end of life cycle or it might already have cracks in the heat exchanger assembly. Before spending money on a motor you might test the heat exchanger or give it a complete visual inspection to make sure it is OK. As you are well aware a bad heat exchanger can KILL YOU by releasing CO and in most cases the people in the mobile home do not wake up in the morning if such a leak from the heat exchanger is present. By helping your friend (which is a very honorable thing to do) you have placed yourself in a liability situation if anything happens. Most HVAC companies carry a very large errors or omissions insurance policy (mine was capped at 10 million for my business) but you probably do not have that coverage. It is always possible that the survivors or relatives could contact a lawyer after the tragedy and this could cost you big bucks just for your defense let alone a court award for damages etc.

As far as used units are concerned most of them have there own set of problems and that is why they were replaced to start with.

Good luck and post back if you have further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

How do I override or clear the "leave" and "return" functions on my thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a Honeywell TRH7500 programmable thermostat. The installation went smoothly, but I cannot figure our how to override/clear the "leave/return" schedules. The thermostat comes with 4 daily program settings: wake, leave, return, sleep. I only want to use wake and sleep but I...

White-Rodgers Thermostat #1F86-244 inop in "Auto" mode [ 1 Answers ]

When fan switch is set to the "On" position fan comes on and system blows hot air. When switch is set to the "Auto" position fan does not come on despite temperature being set to call for heat. While fan is running with switch in the "On" position, if I slide switch to "Auto", fan shuts off. Is it...

How Does God Calls Himself? E.g "i am the bread of life" [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my name is kate, and I'm doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one I could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help...

View more questions Search