Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ciatwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2006, 11:03 PM
    My boyfriends a pain but I love him just the same
    OK so I was watching Vanilla Sky the other day, and yes you can call me stupid for saying this, but its my feelings just the same. So please answer if you have any suggestions. So me and my boyfriend have been dating for a year, and I think I love him more than life sometimes. He claims to feel the same way, however he neglects to show it in ways that make me really truly believe him. The reason I mention the movie, is because Tom Cruise in that movie just absolutley loooved Penelope Crus (I mean who wouldn't right?), but still for all of us other women out there, our men should treat us the same right? I know this is so petty, but I need to feel truly loved by him, and he's just not showing me. The gifts are great, but the everyday little touches and kisses are the only thing I'm practically begging for. Am I desperate?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2006, 08:22 PM
    First of all, never take what you see in the movies to heart ; they aren't real life. He may just not be the type of guy to dole out "the everyday little touches and kisses" that you're practically begging for. That doesn't make him a bad person. Should you break up with him over it? Personally, I'd say no but that has to be your decision. Keep in mind that nobody that you'd have a relationship with is going to be "perfect" according to your own standards and there's always going to be something missing. That "something" will naturally vary from person to person and I'm not suggesting that you should overlook fundamental character flaws. However, don't be petty either, as you yourself suggested that you tend to be.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 7, 2006, 07:47 PM
    People often forget that movies are produced from a script.

Real life is not scripted.

As above, and as you've said, these "perfect touches" are petty and in the grand scheme of happiness in this life, they are probably not what you really want after all.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2006, 01:13 AM
    I agree with the 2 posts above.
    A movie is just a movie, its not real life. Romances in movies are always out of this world.. a fake - make up!

Regarding your boyfriend, explain to him that you apprecaite the gifts but they are material things and you would appreciate more actual love and care from him as a boyfriend.

Talk to him, you been together a year, not a month, you should have good communication between you.

Good Luck.
    alabee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 08:08 AM
    As humans we tend to want to copy what we see in movies. Our feelings of emotions are shaped by movies, books, parents and ideologies based on religion.

First you see this movie or you read this book or your parents emotionally triggered physical behaviors (hugs, kisses, or abuse) you might have see tend manifest in your own thoughts off how you should be treated or treat people, how you should look (big breasts, the perfect nose, the perfect butt).

Slowly fantasies tend to be derived from movies, books, parents or ideologies based on religion/faith/neo-hate, e.t.c.

Advice: Talk to him, tell him what you need (maybe to be held, to be kissed, or imagination) and not what you want. Then watch and pray that he would change for you...
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
    I got to tell you, if I was a guy who loved a girl who I believed loved me and she told me that my way of expressing love for her wasn't good enough (especially after comparing it to a movie), I would be both hurt and confused.
    boogz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 07:26 PM
    I feel for you... But just understand you love him for who he is and he loves you for who you are. Men are just very confusing...
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 10:08 PM
    We all understand that feeling...

People show their love in different ways, Some are overly affectionate, some show it with gifts, some show it by helping around the house - making things - by their actions etc.

You said your guy gives you gifts - well maybe that's how he shows you he loves you. You however, respond to physical touch... Im sure it wouldn't be a problem to bring it up with him - talk about what each of you need.

In the end, just be glad your not with Tom Cruise...
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2006, 01:32 AM
    The original poster hasn't come back since she posted on the 6Aug!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why does love pain kill so much? [ 8 Answers ]

Basically people me & me guy have been dating for 3 and a half months now. The relationship has survived on both our efforts so now we have an equal and fair position in the relationship... But the trouble starts here:::: My man has gone abroad today with his ***hole mates and I didn't want...

Can't seem to cope after boyfriends tragic death [ 8 Answers ]

A little over a month ago my boyfriend was working on my car. He was underneath and the jack he was using slipped and the car fell crushing him. He was only 42 and very healthy. I am the one who found him and I am having a really hard time dealing with it all. I still feel like it's all a really...

Pain in the arm... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to ask that my dad got a pain in his arm from 3 weeks he have seen many doctors but can't get any relief plzz help.. doctorz says that this is a muscle pain.. they gave some gel for agaist pain but there no improvement in the pain its same as it was on first day.. can any body...

The mother of my boyfriends child is a nutcase [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently dating a man and we are planning on getting married, he has a 2 year old daughter and things are great, I absolutely adore her, the only problem is that her mother is doing everything in her power to make our lives miserable, especially when it comes to her daughter. She won't let...

My boyfriends "Buds" [ 4 Answers ]

OK so I have been in this relationship w/ my b/f for about 2 years on and off. Mostly on. He is a great guy, and I love him of course. We want to get married eventually, saving money etc etc (he wanted to live together first, but Im not too keen on co-habitation)... Anyway, we know I wouldn't...

View more questions Search