Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brouk379 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Requesting a new judge
    How can a plaintiff request a new judge when she feels as though the judge is repeatedly swaying the other way. She is a single mother, has two jobs, and is in college. She came to me for advice.

Tuesday was her court day. The father failed FOUR drug analysis tests and had owed her over $2500 in child support. She is legally represented; he is not. Monday afternoon she received an envelope with ALL back child support checks back dated. The father questioned as he has no attorney, why she had withheld the checks for so many months. The judge BOUGHT IT! When my friend called the father a joke, the judge called her immature. With tears streaming down her face, she couldn't speak any longer. The father had an option: either 5 days in jail or 28 days rehabilitation. He chose rehab. He has been before and still had a vast amount of cocaine in his system. I don't think he will be able to quit the drugs so easily. Their next court appearance is in Feb. 2009. So if he completes the 28 measly days of rehab, will he get the FOUR YR OLD girl unsupervised?

He comes from a family prominently known in the south, having tug boats and much money. Her lawyer is now questioning motive of the judge.

If this pattern of unfair ruling continues, can she request a new judge, in LOUISIANA? Where can I research the laws concerning LA court?? HELP
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brouk379 View Post
    How can a plaintiff request a new judge when she feels as though the judge is repeatedly swaying the other way. She is a single mother, has two jobs, and is in college. She came to me for advice.

Tuesday was her court day. The father failed FOUR drug analysis tests and had owed her over $2500 in child support. She is legally represented; he is not. Monday afternoon she received an envelope with ALL back child support checks back dated. The father questioned as he has no attorney, why she had withheld the checks for so many months. The judge BOUGHT IT!! When my friend called the father a joke, the judge called her immature. With tears streaming down her face, she couldn't speak any longer. The father had an option: either 5 days in jail or 28 days rehabilitation. He chose rehab. He has been before and still had a vast amount of cocaine in his system. I don't think he will be able to quit the drugs so easily. Their next court appearance is in Feb. 2009. So if he completes the 28 measly days of rehab, will he get the FOUR YR OLD girl unsupervised?

He comes from a family prominently known in the south, having tug boats and much money. Her lawyer is now questioning motive of the judge.

If this pattern of unfair ruling continues, can she request a new judge, in LOUISIANA? Where can I research the laws concerning LA court??? HELP

She was represented by an Attorney? That's the person most familiar with the case and the Laws, the person who should be giving advice.

If her Lawyer thinks the decision was biased, he/she is the best person to bring this to the attention to a superior court and request a change of venue.

I'm a little confused how the father brought uncashed, backdated checks to the hearing and claimed they were for support - or am I missing or misreading something?

Dec 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Her attorney said that one is unable to request a new judge.? I always thought it was possible under very slim conditions.

She received the back dated checks via snail mail. One envelope. Many checks. She brought them all to court and he claimed that she was not cashing the checks to get him in trouble. I told her that if that ever happened again, leave the envelope unopened and bring it to court to open in front of the judge. ALL checks were received the day before court. Father must have mailed Thursday.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Her attorney said that one is unable to request a new judge. ?? I always thought it was possible under very slim conditions.

She received the back dated checks via snail mail. One envelope. Many checks. She brought them all to court and he claimed that she was not cashing the checks to get him in trouble. I told her that if that ever happened again, leave the envelope unopened and bring it to court to open in front of the judge. ALL checks were received the day before court. Father must have mailed Thursday.

Father's a piece of work!

Anyway - under certain circumstances - at least in NY - the Attorney can request that the Judge remove himself from the case or that the case itself be moved. In theory no Judge wants a decision reviewed or overturned when there's an allegation of bias and so walks away - in theory.

It does not make the Court happy with the party making the request but I've seen it accomplished.

Dec 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
    He pays her child support and claims that he has a separate check book for child support, as they were numbered sequentially.

His new girlfriend has harassed and fought with the mother. She has a personal vendetta for the mother.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 05:53 PM
    He pays her child support and claims that he has a separate check book for child support, as they were numbered sequentially.

His new girlfriend has harassed and fought with the mother. She has a personal vendetta for the mother.

What does the Attorney say about taking action against the girlfriend?

Dec 17, 2008, 06:06 PM

That is next. As she is in school with 2 jobs, she is trying to save money to take the girlfriend to court. What about the child's safety in the cohabitated house? I agree. That situation needs dire attention. As of now, the child is supervised during father's visitation.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 06:39 PM

To change a judge just because he does not do what you want him to do, or think he should do is rather hard to do. There must be demonstratable judicial error before a judge can recuse himself. In this case, I don't see any judicial error. Just because he gave dad another chance to clean up his act, I don't see the Judge recusing himself. Dad is a game player but he did cough up the money owed.

Dec 17, 2008, 06:50 PM

So what constitutes judicial error? And according to whom? Who decides? It just seems biased. Esp because judge is harsh on mom and not on dad. He did cough up $ but he will do same thing. Has done same thing for past 2 years. How can it be prevented? He is never punished.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:07 PM
    so what constitutes judicial error? And according to whom? Who decides? It just seems biased. Esp b/c judge is harsh on mom and not on dad. He did cough up $ but he will do same thing. has done same thing for past 2 years. How can it be prevented? He is never punished.

You and a hundred other people have the same questions. Unfortunately the Law doesn't always work to punish the bad and reward the good.

Would that it did - but it doesn't.

If proper weight wasn't given to the evidence, then someone brings it to the Judge's attention (the Attorney) but it costs money to appeal.

I understand your frustration and concern but if you read through this part of the legal boards some of these cases are heartbreaking. Doesn't change what has happened to your friend but she is not alone.

And then the same question always comes up - was the father always like this?
    RinaKurosugi31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 07:53 AM
    I have the same problem DCS Took mine , and told me if I did everything they wanted they would give her back, now she is dealing with BedBugs, Bruises from all over her legs, Dried Bloody Noses, and Squeezing Head Torture, and Forced to Say She Loves Everyone, When she can't even cry when she says she missed me anymore... SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE FAKE BIAST JUDGES!!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RinaKurosugi31 View Post
    I have the same problem ...
    No. You don't.

Possibly a similar problem. But not the same problem.

And our problem would be to determine what facts your situation shares with those of the previous poster(s).

Please start a new thread and tell us all pertinent information.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RinaKurosugi31 View Post
    I have the same problem DCS Took mine , and told me if I did everything they wanted they would give her back, now she is dealing with BedBugs, Bruises from all over her legs, Dried Bloody Noses, and Squeezing Head Torture, and Forced to Say She Loves Everyone, When she can't even cry when she says she missed me anymore.... SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE FAKE BIAST JUDGES!!!

I'm missing the question here -

Don't you hate those biast judges?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-boyfriend requesting his name off the car lease. [ 2 Answers ]

So last yr I moved out of mine and my ex-boyfriend's apt. He agreed to pay rent for the apt and I agreed to pay for the car lease that has both of our names on it. The agreement was not in writing but my Aunt was the financial mediator between the two of us; because I actually have a restraining...

Requesting repairs [ 3 Answers ]

I have been renting a townhouse for 3 years. My Air conditioner broke in mid April I attempted to contact my out of state landlord, asking it please be repaired or That I was willing to have it fixed and deduct the amount from the upcoming MAy rent. This was sent in a form of email, She contacted...

Requesting travel permits [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there my question is can I get a travel permit to a state that I am currently requesting a transfer of my probation to?

Requesting assistance [ 2 Answers ]

My citibank account got turned over to a attorney collection agency, so I agreed to pay $300 then 5/07 the account was sold to another attorney collection agency, and I lost my good paying job. So I was sending $150 and now due to unforseen circumstances I am paying $80-95 per month. I received a...

Helpdesk requesting [ 6 Answers ]

A user emails the helpdesk requesting access to shared drive \\mnthyreportsclinic. This shared drive does not exist, however a shared drive \\monthlyreports does exist. Email the user requesting clarification.

View more questions Search