Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pierogiemama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Summons received for old credit card debt
    My mother who is 75 years old just received a summons from a constable to appear in court for a credit card with National City that she had between 1998 and 2000. She said she never received any bills from them concerning this. The amount due is $2500. The summons also states that she was notified back in November to appear in court in December of 05, but she said she never got the previous summons. They would have had to send it certified wouldn't they? She said she doesn't remember ever charging anything, but then again she is 75 and her memory is going fast. She is hysterical. She thinks she's going to go to jail. She can't afford an attorney nor can she afford to pay this. She is on Social Security and that is all. She lives in Pennsylvania and does not own anything. I hope someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Credit card
    Go to the court and get a copy of the court documents, get all the information, if she has not received anything 2000, first statute of limations may be up, positive defense, second, possible identity theft. Get the documents, third she may be able to get free assistance, Pa is know for helping seniors.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Advice
    First as stated, go down and get a copy of all filed documents.

Next be sure she appears in court, not appearing can be the worst thing.

Also as already advised check with the senior center in your area, some have attorneys that help in some small ways without charge in more minor issues.

Next she can't go to jail for not paying the money. If she has any bank accounts and checking accounts they could be attached. And if she is listed on any of your accounts they could be attached.

But basically go to court and just be honest.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 04:41 PM
    You say your mother is losing her memory. Maybe she did get a summons and forgot?

Tell her NOT to worry. She can NOT go to jail.

Make sure she shows up in court. Perhaps you should go with her to make sure she remembers.

Yes you should go get all the court documents as others have suggested.

The fact that she hasn’t gotten any notice in this case is irrelevant. She owes a bill, didn’t pay it, so instead of them sending notice after notice, they are just suing her. That is more uncommon, but still possible.
    sonshine Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Sick elderly parents need help with old credit card debt
    Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me.

My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments until they got worse healthwise. Now they are putting their money into medications and health insurance. My father goes to the VA Hospital because they can't afford to pay insurance for both of them.

So a couple days ago they got a court summons for February 6th on an older credit card. Their income is only about $20,000 a year and that's SSI and a very, very small pension.

Like I stated above they are both very ill and this added stress is not helping. I tried to call the lawyer that was taking them to court and they were very rude and not willing to help.

My parents are not financially able to pay this debt back.

Does anyone out there know what they can or not do? They do own their home, but that's all they have.

Any advice would be much appretiated.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2006, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sonshine
    Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me.

My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments until they got worse healthwise. Now they are putting their money into medications and health insurance. My father goes to the VA Hospital because they can't afford to pay insurance for both of them.

So a couple days ago they got a court summons for February 6th on an older credit card. Their income is only about $20,000 a year and that's SSI and a very, very small pension.

Like I stated above they are both very ill and this added stress is not helping. I tried to call the lawyer that was taking them to court and they were very rude and not willing to help.

My parents are not financially able to pay this debt back.

Does anyone out there know what they can or not do? They do own their home, but that's all they have.

Any advice would be much appretiated.
    The plaintiff's lawyer was rude? Not a big shocker. Most lawyers are rude.

Added stress for your folks? Sorry to hear about that.

Do they owe the money? It sounds like they do, and just don't have the money to pay for it. In which case, all that will happen most likely is that a lien will be placed on their house. So when they do sell the house, the money from the sale will first go to pay off this credit card company.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Debt
    Make sure they go to court on Feb 6, to tell their side, maybe y ou can go with them, ask the court permission to help your parents explain their problem. May not help but will force the rude attorney to show up, than it will be your turn.

Just a thought, not legal advice, good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

View more questions Search