Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stase9800 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 02:46 AM
    Bath shelf?
    Sorry if I am in the wrong forum, I am a bit new to all this & this one is as close to bathrooms as I could find. My grandma dies so now my mother is doing up her house to rent out, she is now working on the bathroom & has taken a long plastic molded shelf off the wall that fitted around the bath & thrown it away (thinking she can get hold of another) I have searched all over the internet & the only thing I can find is a bath surround that goes from the tub right up to the ceiling (no good I'm afraid) the thing I am looking for is only about 4 maybe 5 inches high, it matched the bathroom suite which is coloured so I presume they were made around the same time that coloured suits were in fashion. Does anyone know where I can get one or even if they have a name so I know what I'm looking for? They were 2 shelves, 1 long one that fitted on the wall along the length of the bath & one short one for the top end they were made of strong smooth molded plastic (no sharp or pointed edges) fitted right above the bath no gap where they joined really sorry I can't be of more help :( x
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:52 AM

Can you post a photo of the tub surround ?

Feb 17, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Hi thanks for reading, no I can't take a picture because Mum took it to the tip :( I am at a loss, I've been looking for months I think she is going to have to tile over the space it took up I've never seen one before but I think mum has as she thought she could get hold of a new one. I'm presuming it came with the bath as it was beige, the same shade as the bath, sink & toilet (awful I know!) I have emailed a couple of companies that sell baths but received no response. There were no cupboards in the bathroom when my gran moved into the house in 2004 so I guess the shelf was all that was used to store bottles etc. The back of it (where it was 'glued/stuck on to the wall) was about the same height as a tile & it sloped down against the wall at the front and made a ledge/shelf then it was molded round underneath the ledge/shelf (so there was no sharp edge) & went down against the wall for about an inch & the bath was right beneth it (where the bath sealent should be) It must have been made by a machiene and at a guess for the same purpose it was used for as it was the same length & width as the bath it looked like it was all made of plastic the same type of plastic used to make baths, sorry I can be of more help x :o
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Sorry Stace,
    A picture is necessary and even with that I have doubts we can help. Let us know more about the tub walls. I assume hey tiled and when the shelf was removed it left the wall bare? If not please explain. Your only option may be to fit tile in the space that was left. Can the tiles be matched? Let me know. Tom .

Feb 17, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Hi thanks for your reply yes the wall where the 'dreaded shelf thing' was is now bare I think we are going to have to tile over the space its left, mum is trying to get the house on the market to rent as soon as possible & without a replacement shelf it does look like our only option will be to tile over the gap its left, it will have to be in a different style of tile to the ones in the bathroom though as we can't find a match to those tiles :( thanks for your advice xx
    lvsdezine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Thank you Speedball 1
    Hi Speedball 1, that is my last name. I guess I'm a little naïve when it comes to computer stuff. Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your help with my plumbing problem. I told my father what you said and he knows how to replace the spout. We just weren't sure what the problem was. Thanks for your help and I will make sure to use this site in the future.
    -Heather

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shelf life [ 1 Answers ]

What is the shelf life of Hydrogen Peroxide 20 Volume?

Re-painting a shelf [ 2 Answers ]

I have a wood shelf that I would like to re-paint, but I am not sure exactly how to go about it. I was planning to sand it first (there are several layers of paint on it right now)- is there a certain grade of sand paper I should be using (I think the shelf is pine- if that makes a difference)? ...

View more questions Search