Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cerberus Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Sub-panel
    Hi all,

Wednesday the electricians are coming out to swap out the existing 100amp panel with a 200.

Which is more practical and economical... installing a sub-panel on the 2nd floor (where the bedrooms & bathroom are) to supply the upstairs or running all the necessary circuits to each room from the main panel? All the circuits on the 2nd floor would be 120.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Unless you are adding a bunch of new circuits on the second floor, I would think it would be just as easy to use the existing wiring running to the old panel and forget the sub panel. Wherever, the bedroom breakers need to be arc fault.

What I would do is make sure the new panel is a Square D or GE Prime Gold that have the interlock plate available. That way, for next to nothing, you have a legal way to hook in an emergency generator. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...terlock+Square
    Cerberus Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Unless you are adding a bunch of new circuits on the second floor, I would think it would be just as easy to use the existing wiring running to the old panel and forget the sub panel. Wherever, the bedroom breakers need to be arc fault.

What I would do is make sure the new panel is a Square D or GE Prime Gold that have the interlock plate available. That way, for next to nothing, you have a legal way to hook in an emergency generator. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...terlock+Square
    Im doing a complete rewiring... most of the house is knob & tube with some newer circuits that are setup for window AC units. All of the bedrooms have one original ungrounded outlet and two of them have an additional upgraded outlet near the windows. What a pain!

DOH I already bought the panel a week or so ago... A Siemens :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Which panel should I go with? [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings all, I am need of replacing an old Pushmatic Service Panel. The only breakers I can find for it are on e-bay. Plus I need to add a sub-panel in the garage for the new addition my wife wants. (She gets a walk-in closet and a bigger master bathroom with a tub and a separate shower, I get...

Panel [ 1 Answers ]

What is eletrical panel

Sub panel circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I Want to replace an existing unused 20 amp two phase electrical outlet with a sub-panel containing single phase 110 volt circuits with appropriate circuit breakers. My question is: How many separate circuits does the NEC allow in this type of sub-panel?

Sub Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Remodeling My House From 2000sqft To 3900sq-ft And I Will Like To Know What Size Panel I Should Put And Brand?

View more questions Search