Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timarndt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Estate Account
    My wife passed away over a year ago, and I have been negotiating with Mary Kay to have the value of my wife's Mary Kay assets returned to me. Unfortunately, they made out the check to "The Estate of" my wife. I have been advised that I need to open an Estate Account. Is this the only avenue to cashing the check? Mary Kay will not issue another check in my name. If I open the Estate Account, can I as Conservator, upon depositing the check, then withdraw the funds to pay off another account balance that my wife had created?

Thanks
    Tim
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 12:36 PM
    First, my condolences on the loss of your wife.

Second, Mary Kay did the right thing - the money belongs to your wife's estate. Mary Kay has no idea who your wife may have named as a beneficiary of her will. Based on your question I would assume that either she died without a will, or she died with a will that named you her executor - is that right? If so, then yes, just set up an estate account, and then you can write a check out of it to pay off any of her old debts or to pay out her assets to her heirs.

One other question - when you say "your wife's assets" do this mean her 401(k) plan? If so, your wife should have named a beneficiary, which would have avoided this mess. This assumes you are in the US.
    timarndt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Thank you very much for your answer.

To answer your question, "my wife's assets" refer to goods she had ordered and paid for from Mary Kay. Upon her death, Mary Kay took back to products, and this payment to the Estate of my wife is the reimbursement for those products Mary Kay took back.

My wife died suddenly and did not have a will. However, I was named Conservator for her estate.

Thanks
    Tim

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open an estate account [ 7 Answers ]

My friend received a check from the insurance company payable to the estate of his grandma. The check was her grandma's part of the settlement of a car accident in November 2006. However, her grandma passed away on 3-31-07. The check needs to be deposited into her grandma's estate account. He...

Estate Account [ 1 Answers ]

My sister passed away a few months ago and my father is trying to pay her bills, but the bank did not honor the check written on the account to pay for her residential care. My sister was mentally retarded and a ward of the state of ca, where she lived. She received social security funds and...

Estate Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

In New York state how long must the estate bank account be kept open for? Paul

Estate Account [ 5 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away leaving several insurance polices, all but one named myself as the beneficiary the other named my father who passed away 8 years ago no one else was named as a second beneficiary just as children myself and brother. She left a will and named myself as sole beneficiary...

Estate account [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir to my mother's estate;opened an estate acct. My question is what do I do with the money in that acct? Can I use it to pays bills such as home owners insurance,etc.

View more questions Search