Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    big_john1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Craftsman trying to start while key is in on position?
    I have a craftsman 44" 16hp riding mower and I have peplaced the starter, solonoid, and ignition switch. I knew the starter had been out for a while and that got it started only by jumping acrossed th solinoid due to the fuse blowing every time the key was turned on, the wires are in good shape and the safety switches are showing good. After putting all of this back together once the key is turned to the on position it either a: blows the fuse or b: the starter turns what am I overlooking?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 01:55 PM

Did you simply unplug the old ignition switch from the white plastic plug or did you hard wire the new ignition? Your wiring does not match your new switch, could be the wrong switch, double check to see if its OEM.

Oct 6, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Did you simply unplug the old ignition switch from the white plastic plug or did you hard wire the new ignition? Your wiring does not match your new switch, could be the wrong switch, double check to see if its OEM.
    I have bought another 5 prong switch this one is for magnetos but the old switch is the same everything as the new one. Ill try this new switch and see if not ill use pigtail wires and move the plugs to the correct sequence

Oct 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by big_john1 View Post
    i have bought another 5 prong switch this one is for magnetos but the old switch is the same everything as the new one. ill try this new switch and see if not ill use pigtail wires and move the plugs to the correct sequence
    New switch did nothing, old switch blew fuse, I jumpered the be terminal on the switch to the batery on the plug and the ground to the are terminal wich is the way the plug would be if plugged in. so only hot and ground hooked up turn switch on blows fuse. Must be wrong switch but only able to locate two kinds of switches what am I missing, anyone got a match. Lol. JK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Late '80's vintage 18HP, 44" rider. Been running like a champ until recently. Started running very rough a couple of weeks ago. Had to choke all the way to keep in running. Decided to start with new spark plugs to rectify. Now I don't get any spark. Turns over just fine. Amp meter on dash...

Craftsman B&S 3.5 hard start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old Craftsman edger with a 3.5 Briggs engine that is very difficult to start... sometimes up to 55 pulls. The carb has no adjustments, the gas is new and topped up, the spark plug is new. After following directions depressing the fuel bulb 3x (no choke) still no easy start. I...

Position of fuel lines inside the tank of a craftsman gas trimmer/weed eater 25cc [ 1 Answers ]

I Need To Know The Exact Position On The Fuel Lines On A Craftsman Gas Trimmer/weedeater Once The Fuel Lines Are Inside The Fuel Tank How Far Down Do I Push Them In?

Craftsman 14.5 hp rider that won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14.5hp BS (Briggs) that won't start. I have a new battery, new starter, and new ignition switch at the key. The only things I haven't changed is the wiring harness (which is newer because a fire issue 5 years ago), and the switch that all the wires and battery cables run to which is...

12.5 Craftsman Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

What a great forum! Lots of great help available here, just wish I would have found y'all sooner! I just received from a friendly neighbor her old Craftsman 12.5 HP (B&S) lawn tractor for free. Well, it looks to be in great shape but the darn thing won't start. (already checked connections,...

View more questions Search