Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
    Brain dead
    Hello:

Let's say my wife was brain dead and scheduled to be removed from life support tomorrow. I didn't want to wait and pulled the plug today. Am I guilty of murder? If I am, why wouldn't the doctor be guilty, who's going to pull the plug tomorrow?

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
    There is a difference in following rules and not. You not being in the medical profession then you would be working outside the rules. It's the same rules like with abortion. If the boyfriend does it then its murder if a doctor does it then its approved by the state.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Hello dad:

I'm not buying that...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Ex, just being married to you, does not make her brain dead, a saint maybe,

But it will vary by state, each state has specific laws on "end of life"
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello dad:

I'm not buying that...

excon
    ... and you are shopping for?

If you are shopping for a legal response then I am eminently unqualified.

As relates to bio-medical ethics your question is compelling.

I'm on the wrong board to offer an expert response. Just being nosy and intrusive.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
    Hello dad:

I'm not buying that...

excon
    Then lets turn the question around. A woman decides she wants an abortion. Which in the state she lives in is legal and she must wait 72 hours for the procedure. So on day 1 she sets it up and has the appointment for 72 hours later. On her way to her friends house the next day she is involved in an accident. It is someone else's fault. And because of it the baby inside dies. Is that murder or manslaughter as determined by the laws or is it no problem because she wanted an abortion anyway?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
    You all are talking hypotheticals. There is a lot more that goes into it besides just pulling a plug.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 05:39 AM
    Hello:

Let's say my wife was brain dead and scheduled to be removed from life support tomorrow. I didn't want to wait and pulled the plug today. Am I guilty of murder? If I am, why wouldn't the doctor be guilty, who's gonna pull the plug tomorrow?

excon
    Is this homework? We don't do homework!

Seriously, the doctor wouldn't be guilty because, we assume, there is a specific law or judicial decree in place which would constitute justification for the homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Then lets turn the question around. A woman decides she wants an abortion. Which in the state she lives in is legal and she must wait 72 hours for the procedure. So on day 1 she sets it up and has the appointment for 72 hours later. On her way to her friends house the next day she is involved in an accident. It is someone elses fault. And because of it the baby inside dies. Is that murder or manslaughter as determined by the laws or is it no problem because she wanted an abortion anyway?
    Your hypothetical says it's an accident. Thus, it is not murder, which of course requires malice aforethought. But yes, it may be manslaughter.

Let's do another hypothetical: Excon has been convicted of murder for pulling his late wife's plug. As he is walking down that last mile to the gas chamber, Califdadof3 (who happens to be doing time in the same prison for negligent homicide of an unborn child in an automobile accident) kills him (on purpose). Would Califdadof3 be guilty of murder? Certainly.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    I'm on the wrong board to offer an expert response. Just being nosy and intrusive.
    Hello Doc:

No, you're not. We listen to EVERYBODY over here.

excon
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Hello:

Let's say my wife was brain dead and scheduled to be removed from life support tomorrow. I didn't want to wait and pulled the plug today. Am I guilty of murder? If I am, why wouldn't the doctor be guilty, who's gonna pull the plug tomorrow?

excon
    You are guilty of murder because you aren't the medical personnel who are given the authority to pull the plug on the medical device.

Why wouldn't the doctor be guilty? Because presumably you have given your written consent to have the plug pulled.

Who will pull the plug? Actually a plug isn't pulled, but rather the machine is turned off. Only the doctor can turn that machine off.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Again, it depends on what form of life support your wife is on. There are more than one kind.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Again, it depends on what form of life support your wife is on. There are more than one kind.
    Hello J:

Hey Nursey. Quit trying to ruin my question with FACTS.

excon
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Hello J:

Hey Nursey. Quit trying to ruin my question with FACTS.

excon
    Well... you still love me doncha? What's wrong with facts?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
    What's wrong with facts?
    Hello Nursey:

Of course I do, but this is NOT a fact based question.. I didn't actually pull the plug.. She left me before I could..

excon
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 06:58 AM
    But if you pulled the plug today, as in your original question, how could she have left you before you pulled the plug?

Were you married to David Copperfield perchance?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 07:05 AM
    But if you pulled the plug today, as in your original question, how could she have left you before you pulled the plug?
    Hello again, Nursey:

Like I said - NOT a factual inquiry. What DOES interest me, though, and YOU are the PERFECT one to tell me, is there a law that says a doctor can pull the plug and NOT be exposed to legal ramifications.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
    Wow - "pull the plug"? Why doesn't everyone who has ever had to sign the order taking a loved one off life support raise his/her hand, and we can all vote on whether the wording in this thread is callous.

You asked, Excon - how would you "pull the plug"? Remove the trach with your bare hands? Rip out the feeding tube? Rip out the IV's? Pull out the catheter?

Or would you administer the fatal drip?

I don't object to the question. I don't know if it's a good or bad question. Legally that person is alive until that person is pronounced dead so, yes, "pulling the plug" would be murder, at least in my eyes.

I've heard every religious argument about removing someone who is brain dead from life support over the last four years so, yes, I have an opinion on when PHYSICAL death occurs. MENTAL death, well, that's for a Doctor (or Doctors) to determine.

"Pull the plug"? Certainly there are better, less flippant ways to address this question.

And, yes, I'm raising my hand as a person who had to make this agonizing decision and, yes, after all this time the phrase "pull the plug" still sickens me.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 07:11 AM
    is there a law that says a doctor can pull the plug and NOT be exposed to legal ramifications.

excon
    If the next of kin signs the consent for removal of life support the doctor is not exposed to legal ramifications.

I dealt with this issue with my father before he passed. We did indeed choose to "pull the plug" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

Legally that person is alive until that person is pronounced dead so, yes,
    In the original question Judy, the person has been pronounced brain dead. This means that there is zero chance for recovery.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    "Pull the plug"? Certainly there are better, less flippant ways to address this question.
    Hello Judy:

I spose there is, but I was just being my usual flippant self. I DIDN'T mean to offend.

excon
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
    A few years ago we were asked to consent to 'turning off the machine' and letting Mom pass. Being the oldest I was asked by the doctor and the nurses to lead in the decision, they ask me three times. She was dying but not her mind. I was seriously considering saying yes but I wanted to talk with her first although she could not respond verbally.

She opened her eyes and looked at my sister and me. I said 'Mom if know that we love you very much please blink your eyes twice... she did.

That changed my mind immediately and no one was going to make me do anything.

Two hours later she passed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will you do when the dead don't stay. Dead [ 6 Answers ]

I know I know, a lot of people are asking"is this kid serious" well, I am haha... What would you do to survive a Zack outbreak... I will Post my answer later on ounce I've thought about it... PLEASE BE PRACTICAL with your answers. Don't say you would get a tank because most likely there...

If you are considered brain dead, what makes your heart still beat [ 1 Answers ]

If you are considered brain dead, what makes your heart still beat

What happens when you are pronounced brain dead. [ 13 Answers ]

My son has a friend the other night his parents found him face down in the carpet and noticed that when his father turned him over he was blue and had asperated... he does not know how long he was out for and at that time there was no pulse... he has been in ICU since Saturday early morning. There...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

View more questions Search