Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassyb24 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Threatening me with a 20 yr judgment
    Just recently a collection company contact me by mail. Saying that a I owe a landlord that I had back in 2001 2500.00... They said that if I don't pay it then they will put a 20 year judgment on my credit report... I have not acknowledge that I owe this debt yet. Can they do this?

Jun 24, 2008, 06:59 PM
    I forgot to tell you guys. I live in ontario canada... so i don't know if the statue of limitations helps me at all.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
    If they can get a judgement they can continue to renew the judgements if they prove there is still a chance to collect, so yes it can be possib le to keep a judgement active 20 years, But they have to get one first.

And basically if you don't owe it, nothing to worry about, they can't prove you do, if you do owe it, working out payments before they get a judgement would be a good thing

Jun 26, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Here is the thing. I lived there seven years ago.. I know I was late on some rent but I don't think I didn't pay for three months. I asked them to validate the debt. The collection agency is saying they have bounced cheq's. Welll just because I bounced the cheque does not mean that I didn't make a payment after it bounced. Don't they have to be able to validat that I never made a payment. I would think he would have had to evict me if I didn't pay... Do the bounced cheq's validate the debt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obtaining a Judgment on a debt that has a prior Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

Now I thought that you can't get another judgment on a debt if there is a prior judgment obtained back in July 2004 from Ohio. But the debtor moved to New York and they want to have an atty in New York place another judgment on the same debt. Don't they have to request an Exemplified Judgment...

She's threatening me [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: my exs is just freaking on me she's all like my buddy who's all like my brother who plays football and knows material arts is going to like beat you up// I'm not afraid to ing knife the bastard and go to jail ill take a rifle kill him and her then my self// what do I do to get her to...

Father Threatening Adoption [ 12 Answers ]

OK, most of you have already read my other question about emancipation. MY father is threatening to take my baby right after it is born and put it up for adoption, without me ever seeing it. Can he legally do that, and does anyone else have anything to say about the emancipation thing. I can't...

View more questions Search