Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmh001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Joint tenancy disagreement
    I live in Pennsylvania and own a property with another person intended to be our primary residence. We agreed to split mortgage and utilities 50/50. Now she does not want to pay utilities because she is in a rental property somewhere else and only comes to this property 4 d/month. Does she still have the right to 50% ownership?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Of course she still has the right to 50/50 if she is splitting the mortgage with you 50/50. But is there a written agreement for the 50/50 mortgage split ?You can't dispute that arrangement as long as she keeps up her end of the bargain and pays on time. I can see why she doesn't want to pay utilities if she is not living there for a full month.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Whether she has 50% ownership or not depends on ONE thing only andf that's what the deed says. If the deed says she is a joint tenant or tenant in common, then she owns 50% of the property.

As to the agreement on the mortgage and utilities, do you have that in writing? Otherwsie, I doubt if you could enforce it.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 08:07 AM
    You don't say whether there is any written agreement about anything except the mortgage. Whose name(s) are the utilities listed under? Oral agreements are worth the paper they are written on
    What if you move out, nobody pays remaining utilities? What about maintenance costs?
    Taxes? I think she shares equally in all the costs associated with the property she is half owner of. It is not a hotel where you pay when you use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Michigan joint tenancy again with a twist [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen similar questions to my own, but not exactly. I found out two days ago that my father put my sister's name on a quit claim "joint tenancy with right of survivorship" deed almost 15 years ago. I couldn't believe it so when I went home, I went to the courthouse and got a copy. ...

Common tenancy or joint tenancy [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find out the difference in common tenancy and joint tenancy? How does either of these affect a divorce, or if you die, etc. What do I need to know on these in case of death or divorce?

How will court decide in joint tenancy mutual fund [ 1 Answers ]

It has my ss # on it and I am having a hard time determining whose money opened this mutual fund. Ownership can go to either tenant I'm told. BUT I'M SURE THE MONEY IS FROM THE OTHER ACCOUNT HOLDER, NOT ME. There is no personal signature on the cashiers check that opened the account. Having...

Joint tenancy with survivorship vs will [ 2 Answers ]

If my mother and stepfather each leave to the other in their will all of their property, etc And they have a joint tenancy with survivorship warranty deed... Where does that leave us kids... He has kids and she has kids... When one dies does his/her half automatically jump to the kids...

View more questions Search