Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BukkJones123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 06:06 AM
    He won't eat, acts weird
    I just got a new dog yesterday affternoon about 7:30 in Birmingham. And we tried to get him to eat some dog food but he want eat it. We thing that he was eating caned food and not hard food. So how do we get him to eat the hard food?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 14, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Get soft food, and mix hard food in it. 3/4 soft, 1/4 hard. SLOWLY increase the hard food amount until it is all hard food.

XenoSapien
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 10:56 AM
    If you check the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 you will see I suggest continuing what he was eating if you can identify it and it is a dry chow. Otherwise slowly introduce a new chow so as not to upset his digestion. Puppies typically come too fat, so missing eating a day or 2 won't hurt as long as it is just adjusting. Whether it is eating or not, I would schedule a visit to the vet early next week. Take any medical records you have and let the vet plan a shot schedule to protect him. Once the vet sees him, he can far better determine what to do about the lack of eating than anybody here if it is still a problem.

Usually tempting a dog with rich food is the wrong thing to do. If it is sick, it needs a vet. If it is picky and over fed, rich food will lead to a fat, sickly dog. At the most, you might try softening the dry chow with water. Dry chow is better for dogs. Their teeth and jaws need the exercise of chewing it.
    BukkJones123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 12:36 PM
    He acts weird all the time.
    Okay well I got a new dog yesterday afternoon around 7:30 in Birmingham and ever since I got him home and out of the car he was been breathing really hard and last night he sleep in the bed beside me and every 5 or 10 minutes he would come right in my face and put his nose under my arm and make it go on top of his head. So I don't know what is wrong with him but right now he is still breathing really loud but he's laying down right beside me. So please answer to this question and help me make sure he's A-OKAY.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I decided to collect your 2 questions into one thread since it is the same dog.

All to often a new puppy is sick. As I said in my first answer, he needs to see a vet. With the breathing problem too, the only question in my mind is ''Is Monday morning soon enough?''. Not every sick puppy has parvo or something else needing prompt treatment to survive. I am not sure you should risk waiting. Rushing a puppy to the vet on a weekend costs money. Not rushing the puppy to the vet may cost the puppy's life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there food that I should not eat I'm pregnant [ 8 Answers ]

Is there food I should and should not eat while pregnant I would really like so input

Chihuahua won't eat solid food [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a chihuahua last week. She is now about 7 weeks old. The person I got her from said she was eating Purina Alpo Puppy. Due to the pet food recalls I dicided to call the number on the back of the can. THe woman I talked to said I shouldn't feed my dog any kind of dog foof just in case. She...

6 month old miniature dachshund won't eat her own food [ 1 Answers ]

We have a six month old miniature dachshund and a 2 year old lab mix and the dachshund only wants to eat the lab's food and not her own and when we're finally able to keep her away from his food she refuses to eat her own. Is there some way to get her to eat her food and not want his? It's getting...

Dog won't eat his own food [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old shepherd /hound mix who won't eat his own food . We have tried different types and he still won't eat .When we got him he wasn't one of those puppies that ate everything [he was 3 months old. He got a taste of the cat food and that is all he wants. Is there any food out their...

Schnauzer won't eat unless bananas are with the food [ 10 Answers ]

My small Schnauzer has suddenly decided that he will not eat any of his meals unless there is some portion of a banana in the dish. He got his first taste of one when a piece fell on the floor and he gobbled it up before I could get it. I am concerned that this may not be good for this animal, but...

View more questions Search