Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtrtpjpc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Three 401k plans-death benefits?
    My wife has 3 small 401k plans; the most recent (current) is with the Federal Govt.
    She looks at these as life insurance should she die early.
    As her beneficiary, do I get ALL the funds that are in each statement, or only the
    Amount she has put in, or do I get an income stream? I've been told that each plan is
    Different, and so the death benefits may be different. Thanks.
    JC:confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 04:19 PM
    You get whatever is vested. Check the plan documentation to see what the vesting rules are with each plan. Whatever your wife puts and the earnings on it are automatically vested right away, but the company match and its earnings may not. Some plans have the company match vest once your service experience reaches a certain number of years, others do it on a sliding scale (for example, it could be that 20% vests after 3 years, another 20% each year thereafter until you are full vested at year 7).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

We had plans but not now [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have plans once a week every week. Or, go out together you know alone time. So, my girlfriend calls me. Said her girlfriend has two tickets to concert tonight on our date night. My girlfriend is invited and she wants to go so she tells me she is going and if I'm OK with that....

401K Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid off from his job due to downsizing in April of 2005. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received a notification in the mail that the company had taken back all of their matched contributions to his 401K. Is this legal?

View more questions Search