Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolpeips Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Live in NY, work 1/2 time in NY and 1/2 time in NJ.confused!
    Hi! Thanks, in advance, for helping!

I just moved. I now live in ny, but my office is in nj. I work from my ny home 1/2 times and spend the other 1/2 time in nj.

Questions:

1. what state taxes will I pay? I suspect nj AND ny. Ny has a form for 'non-resident who performs services partly within and partly outside of ny. Is that the one I use? Also, nj website has no form for 'partial-work'. So what should I do?

2. is there a nyc city tax?

3. do I have to tell my employer about this 2-state tax?

Thank you so much. Please help! :) Peips
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
    1) You must file state tax returns for BOTH NY and NJ. NY will gove you a credit for the tax you pay to NJ.

2) Yes.

3) Your employer SHOULD know what to do. If not, you may need to get professional help!

Do NOT prepare these returns yourself. Your situation SCREAMS for professional tax help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating two guys at the same time(confused) [ 21 Answers ]

I have been dating two guys and they seem very nice and likes me for who I am. My problem is that I don't want to be dating them at the same time for fear that they'll find out about each other. I really like both of them and would like to continue dating them, do you think that I should continue...

How to record to DVD and watch live TV at same time [ 6 Answers ]

I want to record a previously recorded satellite show to DVD AND watch live TV at the same time. Is this possible? I am recording to the dvd recorder by playing the satellite program on the TV. My TV, satellite and DVD recorder all have TV/Video buttons to switch back and forth, but I don't...

Time off work from Abortion [ 9 Answers ]

How long after a DNC can you go back 2 work? And how long after you have an abortion can you go back 2 work?

Live in New Jersey but work Full Time In NYC [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved to NJ last August. I worked half a year as a NY resident and now half a year as a NJ resident. I just did my taxes and found that I owed NJ. Does anyone know how to figure out how much money to put aside for next year? I was under the impression that since NY has higher taxes I...

View more questions Search