Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowball12 Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Mar 15, 2011, 10:52 AM
    I am in a play and I need help! BADLY
    I am in a play. The play is in 3 days. I am a cheerleader who is excited about everything. I do not have the personality of a cheerleader like that. I need to be more outgoing. My mom says that I need to keep a smile on the face the WHOLE show. That's NOT easy. What should I do? Also, I do not know how I should stand when I am not saying anything. I really need your help! What should I do? I am kind of a shy person and I need to BE the spirit of a very excited, outgoing, happy cheerleader! What do you suggest I should do? When I am NOT saying anything, the directors say that I look bored and stuff like that. What should I do in between my lines?? PLEASE REPLY A.S.A.P! Thanks! :)
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2011, 01:58 PM

That's why it's called acting. You ACT like an excited cheerleader. It might help to watch some shows about cheer leaders and see if you can get into how they think.

Remember, cheerleading is one of the most dangerous sports there is. It's got a far higher injury rate than football etc. If you are a cheerleader, you are not only trying to get the crowd all excited, you are also working on what your next big (possibly dangerous) move will be.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 15, 2011, 02:18 PM

I think Eileen gives great advice about watching movies about cheerleaders. You should watch the original "Bring It On", one of the main characters is not a cheerleader type but she has to be a cheerleader because the school doesn't offer her preferred sport (gymnastics).

"Legally Blonde" also features that perky personality that you are looking for.

Think about how you feel about actors as an audience member: do you judge people negatively when they're acting their hearts out? I know what you're thinking when you go on stage: "if I overact everyone is going to think of me as a fool"... but seriously, people are going to LOVE it! The fact is that most of the people in the audience don't have the guts to do what you're doing. Break a leg!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2011, 02:35 PM

Not only your facial expression but also your body language tells the audience that you are a peppy cheerleader. Use a friend or your mom as a judge, and stand in various positions -- arms hanging down, hands holding your waist, arms windmilling around. Can you keep changing positions and being in perpetual motion even while you're just standing around in one spot -- the hyper cheerleader -- bending, stretching, arms overhead, arms windmilling, leg forward, leg back, squatting, kneeling on one knee, etc.

Look at these Images and especially note the cheerleader poses --

http://www.google.com/images?q=cheer...w=1024&bih=561

Mar 16, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Thanks you guys sooooooo much for your help! But do you think I will look weird if I smile the whole time? What face do you think I should make when there is something serious going on? Like for instance... One of the lines are ," That was a VERY irresponsible thing to to, Jonas." What face should I make for that line? Then after that line I say," You could have hurt someone!" Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball12 View Post
    Thanks you guys sooooooo much for your help!! But do you think i will look weird if i smile the whole time? What face do you think i should make when there is something serious going on? Like for instance... One of the lines are ," That was a VERY irresponsible thing to to, Jonas." What face should i make for that line? then after that line i say," You could have hurt someone!" Thanks!
    Of course, you have to be in sync with what is going on around you in the play. If someone's grandmother dies, you don't start doing a cheer or smile broadly. What face would you make when Jonas is irresponsible and has hurt someone? (a disapproving frown and a glare? Shake your head back and forth disapprovingly? Put your hands on your hips and glare?)

Is there a director for the play? What does that person tell the cast? Are there other cheerleaders who have to show emotion in sync with what is going on in the play?

Mar 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Yes, there are directors. The play is about the top students of a school go in a submarine to learn more about God. The sub goes down lower and lower and the professor Gill, The teacher , asks them questions as they level the sub. THen jonas, one of the yop students, says," i got the wheel and we are going down." after he starts going down, professor Gill tells him to stop the sub. Then she says ." that was a very irresponsible thing to do, Jonas." than I say," you could have hurt someone." I am the only cheerleader.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
    i am the only cheerleader.
    What is the purpose of the cheerleader in the play?

What are the other roles?

Mar 16, 2011, 09:52 AM
    The purpose of the cheerleader is to cheer for the other students and I call up the top students.
    These are all the parts in the play,
    1.) Jonas (student)
    2.) Wanda (student)
    3.) Waldo (student)
    4.) Betsy (student)
    5.) Barbie(student)
    6.) Becky (student)
    7.) Tj (student)
    8.) Captain Beacon (light house keeper)
    9.) Tug (professor Gills assistant )
    10.) Ally Yoopa (cheerleader) (me)
    11.) Professor Gill (professor/instructor)
    12.) Juanita (transmitter 1)
    13.) Trudy (transmitter 2)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 10:18 AM

Are you in a lot of scenes?

Do you wear a cheerleader's outfit?

Do you have lines to say and/or times to cheer?

Mar 16, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Yes... I do have a costume ( yellow long sleeve shirt, yellow mini skirt, and blue legging... I have 26 lines. I am in all of the scenes!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
    yes... i do have a costume ( yellow long sleeve shirt, yellow mini skirt, and blue legging... i have 26 lines. I am in all of the scenes!
    It's important that your face and body reflect what's going on at the time in the play. Most of that should be natural, but you might need to exaggerate it to make your reaction be more noticeable. For instance, bend over slightly and shake your finger at Jonas when he's bad.

Mar 16, 2011, 01:00 PM
    OK.. Thanks! Your good at this stuff! :)

Mar 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    What did you mean by "of course" ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 02:11 PM

What did you mean by "of course" ?

I said "of course, you have to be in sync with what is going on," so if Jonas is bad and everyone is frowning, you wouldn't be laughing. If Professor Gill is dancing around and very happy, you wouldn't be shaking your finger at him and "tsking" at him (unless you are supposed to).

Do you understand?

Isn't the play's director prompting the cast for body language and facial expressions?

Mar 16, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Yes... they are telling us what to do. Have you ever been in a play?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 07:24 PM
    Yes... they are telling us what to do. have you ever been in a play?
    Yes, in college I was in the drama club. I was the page in Antigone and later was in several plays that we presented to schoolkids. After that, I was in charge of doing makeup.

Mar 16, 2011, 07:33 PM
    That's so cool! So... do you have any pets?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 07:38 PM

I have five cats*, and all except for one had been a stray or feral outside. Each was brought inside once he/she had become socialized. All have been neutered.

*Rasputin, Kuro, Miss Freda Kahlo, Deborah, and Dido

Mar 16, 2011, 07:44 PM
    That's so cool! Its great that you rescued them! You are a good person! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Optical drives play cds, but won't play most dvds [ 1 Answers ]

Both of my optical drives will play cds, games etc. but most of the time when I pop in a dvd, I get a message from Microsoft saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close, and the dvd will not play. The error number is 1000. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! ...

View more questions Search