Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbelee2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Converting from 110 to 220
    My hot tub is currently wired for 110. How do I convert it to 220? I need some specifics.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Additional amperage is needed to carry the load your looking for, check the hardware section, or the local electrical supplier for the correct amp circuit breaker.

Then new wiring must be installed,a 110 runs on a hot and common wires(ie 12/2 with ground)totaling 3 wires.

The new system will require new wire rated to handle the load(ie 10/3 with ground)totaling 4 wires.

Hooking the new circuit breaker to the new line requires a little finesse,patience,and all the power turned off(if you're a novice I wouldn't do this,a pro can do it without getting the bite from the power source,and in 1/4 the time)If your familiar with this type of work,a new Romex connector(probably a 3/4" to fit the larger wire)an open space in the box to run the wire in(punch outs located on the circuit box)and the stripping/connecting of:
    A)hot wire(red)
    B)hot wire(black)
    C)common wire(white)
    D)common wire copper

Red and black get connected to the hot connection on the new breaker.

Common white and copper connect just like the others in the box,on the pole section to ground.

The outlet(if you have a plug in) is hot wire on the left and right(in the housing)common and ground together in the bottom.

If this is direct wiring to a pump,etc,do what manufacturer suggests.

Others will say more if this doesn't help you enough.

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220 to 110 [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:

Converting 2 wire 220 to 110 [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, The place I am currently living in (a duplex) had a 220 volt outlet for a large window air conditioner. The circuit was removed from the panel when the place was upgraded to central air. I would like to convert the outlet from 220 single receptacle to 110 duplex receptacle. The...

110 to 220 [ 5 Answers ]

We need an outlet that needs to support 220v 27.4 amps. Ihave 2 120 lines at that location both with 20 amp breakers. Could I just use those lines connet them to the new outlet 2 hots and 1 ground. Then get a double poled breaker in place of the other 2 breakers. If so on the new dbl breaker...

Is it 110 or 220? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had 2 outlets installed where there were once a heater and its thermostat. The light on my voltage tester is on for both, but when I plug a clock radio (110) into either new outlet, nothing happens. Is it possible that these new outlets are wired at 220 to accommodate the heater that was...

Getting 110 from 220 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3-wire 220V going to my well house. I am wanting to come off the 220 to a 110 outlet. I realize this is not the safest thing to do but it is only temporary. My question is, I know I use one wire so I cut let's say the white wire and connect it to one side of this GFI outlet, Do I connect...

View more questions Search