Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheNigel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Struggling with my new feelings after finding out my girl was once raped
    I know there are several posts along these same lines, but I need to hear someone's thoughts on the feelings I am experiencing...

I'm a 23 yr old man, I have been seeing a girl (she's 21) I met about a month ago very often; it's like we've known each other for years. I feel like this is the girl I've been looking for, just a great connection you know? Due to this connection I care about her so deeply, and lo and behold last night after being intimate I somehow asked a question that led to her telling me that she was once raped. We did not continue into details about the rape, but she got very upset because she asked if I was going to leave her now that I knew this because that had happened to her before. That comment made me go silent because my last longterm girlfriend was a rape victim years prior and when I found that out, things were never the same exactly...

The feelings I have about this happening to her are obviously very selfish, but that is what I need help dealing with because I really don't want to let her go. Please bear with my selfish rambling because I need to work this out: I feel so disappointed and disgusted (a mix of rage and anger at who did this to my sweet girl, but also just the sad feeling that I view her differently all of a sudden - as damaged goods, perhaps). I have had the wonderful passion of a new relationship going through my head almost 24/7, but since last night I have this weird mixed emptiness inside. I comforted her 100% when she told me this that it was not her fault, which I know to be totally true, but I struggle with my masculine feelings that she is damaged and someone has permanently marked her as their own in a sick way...

She exhibits absolutely no hangups or disturbed symptoms as a result of her attack; I honestly never would have known if I had not discussed with her whether she can have real orgasms during intercourse, checking to see if I could do something better, and she led me to this horrible news.

I apologize for the length of my rant, but I really need some outside feedback here. I have never in my life had therapy or counseling for anything, I have always felt that what a stranger has to say cannot really help me and I deal with things well myself. I do not want to break up with her, but how can I recover the feelings I had before? She is scarred in a way that I cannot forget, regardless of the fact that I know she is not to blame. I wish she never told me this because I am afraid of the permanent damage between us. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, God bless.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
    As the husband of a woman who was raped as a young teen, then a single mother at 19 with an abusive boyfriend... all I can say is that the past is the past.

If you cannot get over it... if she is too much work for you... get out of her way.

I'm not saying its easy. I'm not saying you are being a jerk.

But if her being honest about her sexual past is an inconvenience to you... its not a good fit.

There are times, especially in young love, that if its too damn hard to make it work, it probably isn't worth it. That's fine.

You don't need to prove anything. If its too much for you, OK.

But I don't hold her one iota "responsible" for telling you're her sexual past.

You signed up and posted because you want things OK. If you didn't care, your wouldn't have taken the time.

My experience is this... you can pick the "ideal" lover all you want... in the wash you will be leaving some wonderful people for no good reason other than your hangups.

Its OK if you aren't a good fit for her. Its OK.

Just don't hang around and punish her for this. If you can't get past it, leave. Let her find another who can see her for the person she is, not the actions that were forced upon her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How I feel about finding out my new girlfriend was raped in the past [ 15 Answers ]

I know there are several posts along these same lines, but I need to hear someone's thoughts on the feelings I am experiencing... I'm a 23 yr old man, I have been seeing a girl (she's 21) I met about a month ago very often; it's like we've known each other for years. I feel like this is the...

Just started dating a girl - found out she's been raped by mom's boyfriend [ 8 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I started dating this 18 year old female 3 weeks ago. We have been sexually active for all 3 of those weeks. I have herd nothing but bad things about this guy that her mom is dating. He's verbally abusive and treats the mom, my girlfriend, and her 14 year old sister like...

A girl who gets raped by her coach [ 4 Answers ]

There is a film I saw on TV once it involves a girl who is training to be an athlete runner like her father and she gets raped by her coach and for it he hands over to her a gold chain with a shoe figure on it the film also features an athlete character called kaci king please could you tell me...

Finding baby's blood type while pregnant if I was raped [ 11 Answers ]

I am 5 1/2 months pregnant and I was raped around the time my husband and I were trying to conceive is there any test that can be done in the columbus area to find out the baby's blood type my husband and I are both o+ and the guy that did it is a type 1 diabedic with type ab blood as I get closer...

My boyfriend has feelings for another girl [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been on and off for the past few years, hooking up with different people when we aren't together and also going out with other people. We began talking again this past winter and made our relationship serious. Last weekend he went off to visit some friends at a college and...

View more questions Search