Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jvankirk87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Leaky fitting on cold water inlet on hot water heater
    I recently replaced my hot water heater. THe new one was taller than the old one so I had to cut the pipes and shorten them. I had to use solder on fitting with a brass nut on the top end and a male fitting on the bottom. I have a leak right at the joint and have tried teflon tape, "pipe dope" and electrical tape? It still has the same small steady drip to it that it did before. The hot water out side has the same fitting but is not leaking. It did at first but has since quit. Any help or guidance on this matter is greatly appreciated
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 02:04 PM
    So you used an IP into the tank and a "nut"-(compression fitting?) to the pipe? If it is leaking at the pipe fitting, you will need to tighten it more. The reason the other side stopped is that the brass cold flowed to the shape of the female fitting. Turn off the water, release the pressure, loosen the conpression fitting and thighten the pipe fitting. I run into this occasionally when using a sharkbite IP into an SS ball valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in hot water heater won't heat. Cold water inlet won't turn off. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater built in 2007. The cold water supply won't turn off. Flushed the unit, burner and pilot fine. Called company (AO Smith) and they said I have a leak somewhere. However, the water meter is not turning. My question is where is the water from the tank going? I do not see...

Water Heater Cold Water Inlet has Hot water coming out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a.O Smith Gas Water Heater. It was installed in 1991 and still works great. I am wondering why the hot water comes out of the outlet ( inlet ) labeled COLD on the top of the heater. Of course the labeled hot water inlet is supplying the cold water. The shut off valve is also on the pipe...

I had no hot water in my bath, after repair, the cold water fitting ruptured [ 9 Answers ]

No water from bath HOT tap. Plumber fixes it (changes washer), but, immediately afterwards, the elbow push-fit (John Guest Speedfit 2cm, 15mm) of the bath's COLD water pipe-work ruptures and water from COLD copper pipe (2cm, 15 mm) causes home to become extensively flooded. Age of push-fit: at...

Pluming does the recurculating pipe hook to the hot or cold inlet to the water heater [ 0 Answers ]

Comercial water heater a pipe from the hot outlet returns to the cold inlet is this correct

View more questions Search