Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtseiple1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
    Water Heater Cold Water Inlet has Hot water coming out
    I have a.O Smith Gas Water Heater. It was installed in 1991 and still works great. I am wondering why the hot water comes out of the outlet ( inlet ) labeled COLD on the top of the heater. Of course the labeled hot water inlet is supplying the cold water. The shut off valve is also on the pipe that is supplying hot water. Was this unit just installed incorrectly? Does it effect the functionality? I have never has a problem with hot water supply. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
    From your description the heater was installed with supply and draw reversed. It does affect the functionality of the heater, you are drawing from the dip tube near the bottom of the tank. Cold water is entering at the very top of the tank and sinks into and mixes with the hot. This would make your heater burn more fuel to maintain the set temp. I'd reverse them and might consider a replacement heater at this time. Its 21 years old so not much more life and your are going to do at least 50% of the work done during replacement just to fix this old mistake.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
    the labeled hot water inlet is supplying the cold water.
    If that's so you theater is installed incorrectly. The cold water inlet has a dip tube (see image)that directs the cold water to the bottom. If it's not being directed to the bottom then you are mixing co9ld water in with the hot. Reinstall the heater correctly. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Why does my new water heater trickle out hot water but good pressure on cold water? [ 5 Answers ]

I just had my water heater replaced and was given an energy star eco-friendly unit. But since the replacement, whenever I try to take a hot shower or fill my bathtub, the hot water trickles out almost like the faucet isn't open all the way but it is. The cold water comes out fantastic.

Pluming does the recurculating pipe hook to the hot or cold inlet to the water heater [ 0 Answers ]

Comercial water heater a pipe from the hot outlet returns to the cold inlet is this correct

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

View more questions Search