Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajr1935 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
    What can I do, if anything , to free-up space?
    My Local Disk D in Windows Vista has a Volume of 8.30 GB.
    The Used Space is 8.01 GB, leaving 291 MB of free space.
    This is not even enough for 1 back-up of the System.
    What can I do, if anything , to free-up space?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
    What are you using this D drive for and can you simply delete anything that's there ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
    I suspect that D drive is your Recovery partition and should not be used. External USB drives are cheap.

Nov 10, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Frankly, I do not know how it got so full. Unless I added or down loaded something to it by mistake.
    Can I go in there and delete the stuff?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2011, 03:58 AM
    Did you read what I said? On most new machines there is a small partition, usually about 8 G, that contains an image of your system as it came from the factory. This is your Recovery partition. And you should leave it alone.

Nov 11, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Thanks, ScottGem. Gottcha!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free Space and Defrafmentation [ 15 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that defragmenting would decrease my used space and increase my free space. However, when I run Defraggler I find the opposite is true. I thought the defragmentation process included finding and eliminating fragments of files left behind by incomplete uninstalls...

How To Free Space On My C Drive? [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a Windows XP Computer with a C drive that's very nearly full. I've tried to defragment. However, this process won't work--I get a message saying there's not enough free space to run a Defrag, since it requires a certain amount of free space to function. I have transferred all my iTunes,...

Where is my free space? [ 1 Answers ]

Ive never really paid close attention to how much free space I have, because Ive always had plenty. I don't have any big programs, and Im am constantly doing maintenance. Deleting temp files etc. Now, all of a sudden Im down to 10% free space. Ive done disc clean up, but there isn't anything for...

Getting more free space [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbor asked me to get her computer running faster a month ago. When I went over there I went to disk clean up on her computer and I was only able to get her freespace percentage to fourteen (it was at five at first).To do a disk defragment fifthteen percent freespace was needed. She went...

Best Free FTP space? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend the best free FTP site. I occasionally need to sen out large files, 32MB tiffs and up.

View more questions Search