Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fdts70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Light fixture flickering even new bulb. Ballast problem?
    My round fluorescent kitchen light started flickering and I though it was the bulbs. After going to the store I replaced the 12" bulb but they were out of the 8" bulb. Turn it back on and both bulbs are flickering. I'm thinking it's a ballast problem, right?
    I've never repaired anything electrical so I'm a bit nervous about fixing this. Can some please explain in baby steps how to fix this?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2011, 03:51 PM

Before changing ballast, install 2 new bulbs.

To change ballast.

Pick up new ballast at big box store. Will need to know size of bulbs.

Turn off circuit breaker that powers light.

Remove bulbs and cover plate. Plate should be held in with finger nut at center of fixture.

Ballast may be held in by 2 finger nuts or in a slot.

Check numbers on old ballast and make sure the new one matches.

Remove wires one at a time from old ballast and mark with tape to show where to hook up on new ballast.

Install new ballast.

Put cover plate and bulbs back on.

Turn on circuit breaker. Should be good to go.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamton Bay outdoor light fixture... how to replace a dead light bulb. [ 0 Answers ]

I have to see if one of the glass panels slides up or down or left and right. It does not appear that the top or bottom is removable. Don't have instruction guide... don't know the model number

I installed a new Ballast in a 277 volt metal halied fixture and the bulb does not ge [ 4 Answers ]

The ballast is multi tap and to wire it in I have a red wire the that has 277 on it and a blue wire with nothing on it I put the 277 wire from the ballast to the red wire and the 120 volt to the blue wire, the cap goes to the capasator. The com goes to the wight and the com goes to the other com

Buzzing/Flickering Ceiling Fan/Light Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's light/ceiling fan is making a... buzzing/popping noise with flickering whenever it is turned on. I have not allowed her to turn it on and she has been using a floor lamp for now because something doesn't sound OR look right - it really kind of scares me!! I am clueless but I am hoping...

Light-bulb change in HB fixture? [ 2 Answers ]

The condo unit I bought has a Hampton Bay light fixture in the kitchen (flushmount, 2-lights, 60w, frosted glass)... this sounds funny to type these words, but how do I change the bulbs? Does the glass portion unscrew? Does the fixture pull-down from the ceiling? I am very hesitant to monkey...

Why is my fan fluorescent light bulb flickering? [ 2 Answers ]

10:25 AM 2/13/2006 I recently installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/florescent light kit. To control the fan and light I installed a remote switch manufactured by the same company, Harbor Breeze. The problem I am having is the fluorescent light is constantly flickering, whether the fan is...

View more questions Search