Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 28, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Hardwood floor removal-asbestos
    We have removed our carpet and have discovered old tile-like hardwood (9" x 9" squares). We haven't decided what to replace it with, but we're thinking of trying to refinish the wood. (Is it worth trying to fix?) A lot of the pieces are broken.

Problem: It is painted (white and army green)... house was built in 1958... read online that it may contain asbestos and have it checked. Who do you contact to have this wood checked? If it were to have asbestos, is it safe to lay on top with any type of flooring?

Thanks for any advise :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:18 AM
    It was the asphalt or vinyl tile, not hardwood that contained asbestos. DIY home owners have much more slack in the regulations than contractors and lower profiles. If the tile is laid with the grain in alternating directions, sanding it would be difficult plus replacements for the broken ones might be hard to find. Although redone, it would be an attractive period piece, unless you are going for an authentic showplace, you might better rip it out and select a modern replacement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glue removal.hardwood floor [ 7 Answers ]

Any special solvents to remove flooring glue from hardwood flooring... or home remedies?

Hardwood floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking up carpet form old hardwood floor and going to put new hardwood floor next to the old, there is about 1/2 inch difference in height what kind of transition do I need between the old and new.

Asbestos floor tile [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 8x8 asbestos floor tile in my basement. I want to install new vinyl tile. What is the best way to do this? My thought is to put down a thin layer of durrock over the existing tile and then installing the new vinyl on top of that. How should I secure the durrock to the old vinyl...

Asbestos siding removal/covering [ 5 Answers ]

I have just purchased a home in Norfolk VA that has asbestos siding. I would like to find out if I can remove it, and replace with Certianteed siding panels, or can I place the panels directly on top of the original asbestos.

View more questions Search