Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynthiamireles Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 11:07 AM
    How can I adopt my brother?
    Im 21 years old and I'm married I have a 13 year old brother that I want to adopt.Our parents are divorce my dad doesn't live in the USA and he's not able to provide for my brother and my mom is unable to support him because she doesn't have a job and because of her immigration status it has been much harder for them . My brother has been living with us for the past years because of this and I would like to help him more and to provie for him and my mother is willing to sign the adoption papers . But I need to know what am I supposted to do first and what do I need to get strated?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 12:38 PM

If your mother has full custody according to the courts then she can allow the child ( your brother ) to live with you. She will still need to be there for decisions and certain documents but also can pass guardianship to you for some of those matters.
    Its not a normal case for a sibling ( brother / sister ) to adopt because your actually assuming the full rights and obligations of a parent. Hope that's clear.
    madtwin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
    I am a television producer out of New York trying to develop a documentary series about siblings raising siblings. If you are the in process of or where successful in adopting your brother, would love to talk to you about it. I can be reached at [email protected] or 212-687-7716.
    jlittletaz16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Were you able to complete this documentary? My mom is pregnant and due in September and I will assume all rights and responsibilities upon this child's birth... I am so lost as to what I need to do to prepare legally and mentally :/ I am 21, work a fulltime and part time job and attend college part time :)
    2lovemybro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Well, I am in canada and I'm going for what is called kinship. I am in the process of a homestudy. They check my references like medical references, personal references, Criminal record check and finicial position. I and my partner signed a lot of papers. My little brother was apprehended by social services because of neglect due to alcoholism. My mother was caught drinking with my little twin sisters whom are only 16 and my other brother whom is 14... So my little brother
    Whom is 9 yrs old was taken because he is at risk... There are definitely a lot things required such as safety precautions ,fire drills , alarms and fire extinguishers. I am an active member of alcoholics anoynmous and my past wasn't a pleasant one. But I did something about it and I still do! I DO BELIEVE PEOPLE CAN CHANGE IF THEY HAVE THE WILLINGNESS.. unfortunately no one in that family wants too. So I plan on finally adopting my little brother in the near future.. And that is in Gods hands... I just hate to see him back in that dysfunctional environment again..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I related to my brother-in-laws brother? [ 12 Answers ]

It's been this huge discussion lately with many many MANY different answers, and I would like to know, If my sister marries a man, am I related to him AND his siblings? I have no idea...

Can I marry my brother in laws brother? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone... im so confused my sister is married with a japanese guy but before getting married his brother and I wer in love wjth each other that we want to get married but my sister and his older brother got married earlier than us.. I want to know if we still can get married even his brother...

Brother wants costody of younger brother [ 3 Answers ]

Brother wants costody of younger brother Hi my name is Russell and I'm from Minnesota and I have a younger brother that is 15 going on 16 and wants 2 live with me how would...

My little brother! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Kentucky, I'm 23 yrs old with kids of my own and a husband. My father lives in Delaware with my half brother. Both my father and my brothers mother are unfit parents. How to I obtain custody of my brother since I live in another state. :confused:

View more questions Search