Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdamACmilan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Background Check / Employment
    Hello everybody,

First of all, I am so glad to find such a great forum!

As of now, I work at this company as Electrical Engineer Intern since Aug 07. I do graduate this Dec with Bsc in Electrical Engineering. My bad luck, not too long ago (weeks ago) got convicted to drug paraphernalia misdemeanor charge. My friend was over my crib and he happens that he smokes Marijuana. I do only smoke Hooka/Shisha (flavored tobacco bong). My stupid friend caused the trash can on fire and the police and the fire dpt came in quick. They found the stems and ended up convicting us both with paraphernalia and possession. Even though, they didn't find anything in my place. They just found some on him and he did tell them its his. But, I did talk with the prosecutor and after he double checked with the officer in charge and,. The possession charge was dropped but they said because this happened in my place I should get punished for the paraphernalia. Also, the cop was lying in the police report, stating that I did tell him that my friend was smoking weed out of my hooka. Anyway, my last name has been changed week ago, and I know that they have the charge under my old name.

First, I would like to know how misdemeanor paraphernalia charge would affect my chances of getting full time position within my field? If it doesn't affect the employment status, how about the salary? Is it going to be less since I had such charge?

Second, Since my name has been changed; does the charge show on the new name ? If not, are they going to check if my name was changed recently?

At this point, I am about to apply for full time position and I'm bit concerned about my situation. Some told me to not to mention it. Some did tell me to just say "they found the hooka water bong in my place and got charged with paraphernalia when the fire n police arrived when the fire happened". Some also did tell me to tell the whole story truthfully and the employer might understand

I am really confused at this point and would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Adam

Aug 22, 2008, 04:57 PM
    36 views and not even a single reply?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Well the issue will be getting the job, if there are 100 applications for the same position, and 90 of them have no criminal conviction, and 10 do, do you think that the 10 will even get considered. Next yes if this is at all drug related it can seriously effect your chances.

Aug 22, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Well, I understand. But I have good experience in both Elec and Soft Engineering. Also, I did years of Network Administration,.

Also, I will be taking a drug test and it will show NEGATIVE because for simple reason I don't do drugs. So how come this will affect me that bad ? Sometimes things happens, I guess.

Do you know what Background check agencies most companies use ?

I will try to buy some reports on my both old and new name and see how its looking

I still think it won't show up this quick.

Do you know how these background checks work?

Aug 24, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Anyone??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-employment background check [ 2 Answers ]

Will A Felony Arrest/charge Show Up On A Pre-employment Background Check ? I Live In The State Of Georgia And Do Not Know What Most Background Checks Show. I Gave A Co-worker A Ride Home Little Did I Know She Had More On Her Person Than Just Her Purse. Thanks For Your Answers.

Employment background checks [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of having a new potential employer (for a call center supervisor) conduct a background check. I have an IRS bill, will they see this and deny me a job because of my bill? It's a telecommunications company.

Employment background check [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested in 2006, placed on deferred adjudication, I want to know if will show up when I apply for a job? I am now off probation and it was for theft under $500

Background Check - new employment [ 1 Answers ]

I am a finalist in an interview process for a local municipality for a professional finance position. I have a guilty plea for two DUI's on my record. The DUI was unrelated to my professional life. I am following all the court appointed stipulations and staying within my probation terms. I have...

Background search for employment [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested in college for a misdemeanor, my lawyer suggested I apply for an ARD that way my record would be clean after a short probation period. Now 3 years later the state of Pennsylvania indicates that I do not have a criminal record but when I applied for a job the potential employer said...

View more questions Search