Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amorrison1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Force, Work, and Power
    I am taking AP physics and I am generally confused about work and power. We are using all sorts of derivatives and integrals and I don't understand how to do them. Could some one please help me figure this out?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Power is defined as work per unit time. Since work is force times distance, this means that for a constant force power is force times velocity. Stated another way, power is the derivative of work per unit time, and work is the integral of power over time. We can help better if you gave us an example of a particular problem that has you baffled.
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2007, 05:34 AM
    To clarify further:

WORK: Multiply the component of force in the direction of motion, by distance moved.

If you are familiar with Vectors,

Work = Dot product of Force-vector and distance-vector

Remember: No motion, no WORK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work and force problem PLEASE HELP ! [ 4 Answers ]

What work is done by a forklift rasing a 583 kg. box 1.20 m ?

Work & Force & Power [ 1 Answers ]

Bob can throw a 500g rock with a speed of 30 m/s. He moves his hand forward 1.0 m while doing so. How much work does Bob do on the rock? How much force, assumed to be constant, does bob apply to the rock? What is Bob's maw power output as he throws the rock? W=225000J F= 225000N because 225000=...

Physics Problems ! (work= Distance * Force) [ 2 Answers ]

A force of 825 N is needed to push a car across a lot. Two student push the car 35 m . How much work is done? After a rainstorm, the force needed to push the car doubled because the ground became soft . By what amount does the work done by the students change ?

View more questions Search