Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miss Lolo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 11:23 AM
    How Do I Respond To A Summons For Debt Collection in CA
    Yesterday I was served a court summons from an attorney's office on a debt that is about 2 years old (I think). The debt is for $10,000 (I believe it was originally $8,000, but with interest, etc) and certainly do not have the money to pay it off. I in a complete panic and am also very frightened that my wages may be garnished. I need some guidance on what to do next. I live in California so I am not sure on how the laws work here.

There is a note attached to the summons from the attorney's office indicating that if I want to avoid further litigation, I can call and try to arrange a payment plan - is this a good idea?

Please help! I really need some solid advice.

Thank you.
    farmgirlmo Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 10:34 PM
    SOL in CA is 4 years on all but oral contracts. So, if the debt is only 2 years old, you are within SOL.

Is it a collection agency or original creditor suing?

If there is a good chance that they'll win in court, I'd try to make acceptable(to both parties) payment arrangements.

You want to try to avoid a judgment.

If you come to a payment agreement and they say the court date will be cancelled, do not take their word for it, check with the courts. Also, answer the summons saying that you and the plaintiff have come to a payment agreement and the planitff has stated that they will withdraw the case from court action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court summons for debt collection [ 17 Answers ]

I live in Chicago, IL. Last night, while taking the dog out, a court summons was discovered in my front window... that's actually my first question, is that a legal way to deliver a summons? What if I hadn't seen it or it had blown away?! The summons is from a collection agency collecting on a...

Summons for debt collection [ 2 Answers ]

I am desperately seeking any helpful tips on how to proceed - I am working with a debt reduction company to negotiate lower amounts on my credit cards and have successfully done half of them; however, I am being sued by one who did not offer a settlement. The debt company has my power of attorney...

Civil Summons for Debt Collection [ 3 Answers ]

What's the correct way to answer/respond to a civil summons for a collection of debt when the debt is not disputed?

Court Summons for debt collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Today, I have been served by a court clerk who came to my home and gave me a letter stating that I have 20 days to file a response in court in regards to a credit card debt collection. I really don't know the agency but I am suspecting that one of the credit cards I have must sold the...

View more questions Search