Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmsechi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
    Dishwater fills with water when I am not even using it.
    The dishwater will back up with water and then overflow on the floor when I am not even using it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Then you don't have a proper air gap and the discharge from the sink is draining into it. Go back and run a high loop air gap, (see image) Install the drainage hose with a large loop between the point where it discharges from the dishwasher and enters the sink drain. Think of a bell-shaped curve. Make sure to attach the drain hose as far up in the cabinet as you can, using hose clamps or a pipe strap to secure it, when you run it between the dishwasher and the disposal. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
    I agree completely with Tom. I also think you may have a partiall blockage in your sink drain causing water to reach the level of your dishwasher tie-in. I would suggest augering your sink drain, and doing the high loop for the d.w. drain as Tom suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher fills up with water [ 6 Answers ]

Whirlpool GU1500XTLQ0 The bottom of the dishwasher fills up with water when it sits. Seems to only take a couple of hours for the water to fill up enough that it will leak out the door if the door is open. Pressing the CANCEL button will drain the water. But it will fill up again in a couple of...

Brown water leak from dishwater and burning smell? [ 2 Answers ]

Hadn't used the dishwasher for many months. When I did there was a burning type smell and then brown water which eventually became clear leaked from underneath unit. Any ideas

Washer fills with water and that's it [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kenmore 80 series, 3yrs old it will fill with water and that's it! Nothing else happens.

Toilet fills up with water when I flush it but the water doesn't drain away again [ 1 Answers ]

Please please please help me... When I flush the toilet it fills up with water but then the water doesn't drain away again... wht do I do to fix it?

Toilet fills, but the water does not go down. [ 10 Answers ]

I have two toilets in the house. I am on a septic tank. The upstairs toilet works fine. The one downstairs will fill, but the water loses the spin and will not flush down the drain. All other pipes seem fine. Help, getting annoyed. Been at this two days.

View more questions Search