Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paul Sojax Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Civil judgements
    OK here's the scenario. I have a friend whom they think I owe them money from a business and it is over 10,000 dollars. We went to court and the judge made them win and will sent me my judgement. The question is can I include this on chapter 7 bankruptcy since it's a civil judgement?
    jojo55 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Yes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Yes, that is what bankruptcy is for,

Apr 22, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Chapter 7
    Can somebody file a chapter 7 even if the judgement has not being sent yet? If so can I (creditor) file a motion or I'm just screwed that I can't do anything if the people that owes me money files a chapter 7? I need some answers to this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Please don't start a new question on the same issue. I've merged your threads. Please reply to this thread.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sojax
    can somebody file a chapter 7 even if the judgement has not being sent yet? If so can I (creditor) file a motion or im just screwed that I can't do anything if the people that owes me money files a chapter 7? I need some answers to this.
    Are you a creditor? What kind of debt is this? Have your filed suit? Has a judgment been entered in your favor? Has the judgment been filed? Have you received notice of bankruptcy? Do you have a case number on the bankruptcy?

Apr 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Well I'm not a company creditor but we have signed a contract. It's kind of a friend to friend loan. We went to a pre trial and the judgement has been entered to my favor but I have not receive the letter from the judge. My question is... can these people file a chapter 7 even if the judgement letter hasn't arrived in their mail box? How long does it take before judgement is received by the defendants and what kind of actions I can do to prevent them from filing a chapter 7?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 01:28 PM
    You can't prevent them from filing Chapter 7. When you get your judgment, garnish them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgements and BK [ 1 Answers ]

I had a Bk discharged in01/06 and just got a credit report that showed I still have several judgements, aren't bankrupties supposed to get rid of those? And if not how do I get them off. Any help is appreciated

Judgements - what can they take [ 1 Answers ]

I have received a judgement from a law office about 1 1/2 years ago. I have been paying the agreed upon amount for that time. I am currently not working and am collecting unemployment in New York State. I have told them my situation, but last week they put a restraining order on my bank account,...

Judgements Against Me [ 4 Answers ]

This is complicated. I am married. I have credit card debt in my name only. Two judgements against me only. I am incredibly stressed. I have my own checking account and then I have a checking with my husband. They attached a levy against my checking account. I know they will probably...

Judgements. What can they take [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me now. The atty's have withdrawn their lower settlement offer and raised it because they found out about some property they think I own. They are threatening all kinds of tings to get the money. Can they garnish my wages? Can they take money from my bank account? Can...

Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I moved 2 months ago and did not notify the Collection Agency of my new address. I left a forwarding address at the Post Office and have received nothing from them by mail. If so, the post office would have forwarded it to me. Someone told me a Collection Agency can legally seek an "undercover"...

View more questions Search