Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LifeInPiink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Concerning a Civil Summons.
    Monday, September 24, I received a civil summons concerning a credit card debt. I received three papers, two being the same copy of a summons, the other stating how much I owe the company (Capital one). The date on the summons says May 21, 2007. Is it too late to do anything about it? Also, I am fairly sure I can pay off the debt, do I have to do anything with the courts, or can I just contact the office suing me?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 12:19 PM
    First you need to check with the court that issued the summons and see if a default judgement was entered against you. If one hasn't, then file your Intent to Defend with the court and a copy to the plaintiff.

Include in the copy to the plaintiff, a request for validation of the debt. In that request add something like:

If you can prove that this is my debt then I would be willing to negotiate a settlement.

A large part of the balanace is probably interest and fees that have a accrued while the debt was delinquent. Since the plaintiff probably purchased the debt for pennies on the dollar they will probably be willing to settle for a lesser amount, especially paid in a lump sum. So you can start offering about 50%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Summons [ 2 Answers ]

What is a civil summons?

Civil summons [ 6 Answers ]

I have received a civil summons on behalf of a BP gas card. The letter states it was filed in a local court, however, the letter is from an atty on behalf of a collection agency. It states I have 28 days to respond. Should I respond to the atty with a letter stating I'm disabled and unemployed...

Amendment to civil summons [ 1 Answers ]

I have filed the answer and counter suit to a civil summons, how to do an amendment?

Civil summons [ 2 Answers ]

HOw long does the deputy have to serve a civil summons? If there is a time limit, can it be reissued after the time limit is up? What if they don't have your current address or workplace info, what action could they take to find you?

Civil summons [ 11 Answers ]

What is the civil summons process?? How long does the deputy have to deliver the summons.? We hired a contractor to do a job and he didn't return to finish the job after receiving a draw. This is SC (( Columbia )) If our addresses turn up negative for delivery from the deputy what is the next...

View more questions Search