Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wkf4321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 06:35 PM
    Stock questions
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying an OTC stock whose ask/size is $.40 and 2,500 shares but the bid price is $.03 and 10,000 shares. Does that mean that if I wanted to BUY 5,000 shares it would cost $2,000 but if I wanted to SELL 5,000 shares I would only get $150? That seems weird! But if that's right, what happens to the missing $1,850? Does it go in the market maker's pocket?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 06:54 AM
    With such a large gap between bid and ask it seems that there really is no market for these - I doubt that anyone is actually buying and selling this stock. You are correct - if you bought these at $0.40 and sold at $0.03 you would lose a lot of money, so it's not a good deal for you. Better to buy at something close to $0.03 and hope the bid price goes up from there. A word of advice - for OTC stocks like this unless you are an insider the market is stacked against you with the market maker getting rich on your losses, so I woud avoid this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock questions [ 0 Answers ]

We hold stock grants that through the years has been reasigned through accusitions. How do we find what we paid for these?

Stock questions [ 1 Answers ]

I've noticed that stock volatility seems to vary with the price (i.e. - <$1, between $1 and $10, or >$10). Is there a common price range category for stocks to use while investing? For example: is the volatility of most stocks over $10 similar, or should the range be broken down further? Or is...

Stock questions [ 0 Answers ]

I've noticed huge single candlestick swings of anywhere between 5%-20% on many stock charts. These can be either price gains or declines and only last for the width of one candlestick, then the price moves back to normal. I can understand a single candlestick price gain if someone makes a mistake...

Stock questions? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband and I got divorced in 2004. Prior to that I had invested in stocks and put them in both our names. He's left the country and I don't know where he is... it's a divident reinvestment plan and I am very reluctant to feed it, since his name is on the account. How do I get his name off the...

Stock questions? Common stock in STROUSE Inc. With Pennsylvania corporate seal 1954 [ 0 Answers ]

The shares were purchased oct. 6 1967, that's all I know #RL3406, I don't know if there still in business, or how to find out, perhaps you can help, thanks

View more questions Search