Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohdangitsaudrey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 03:32 PM
    How do I become a pharmacist?
    I'm currently a sophomore in HS and I'm not too sure what classes/steps I should take to become a pharmacist. Help anyone?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Take all the science classes that are offered, or that you are allowed to take as electives. General Psych and Sociology are both good. Check with your guidance counselor about colleges that specialize in a pre-pharmacy program. You will have to go to grad school too, so keep your grades up.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I agree with Wondergirl. Take whatever you need to major in biology or chemistry or pharmacology in college. Here's a list of pharmacy schools in the U.S. from Wikipedia.

List of pharmacy schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also read about pharmacology and related topics there.

If you are outside the U.S. there are other lists at Wikipedia too. Good luck!
    Asking
    ohdangitsaudrey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Thank you! (:
    piernbeam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2012, 06:08 PM
    Good for you to plan ahead as a sophomore.
    To be a pharmacist you'll need to:
    (2 years) High school: take and do well in chemistry, biology & math
    (4 years) Undergraduate: Take and do well in Chemistry, biochemistry and math
    Take the PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test), apply/ get accepted to a school
    (4 years) Graduate school: 3 years of didactic training, 1 year of interning
    Graduate with your PharmD. Doctor of Pharmacy degree
    Pass the NAPLEX (drug knowledge) and MPJE (Federal and state law) tests = Registered
    Additionally, you can choose to do Post Graduate residencies:
    Year 1: general - more intense training and research (almost required for hospital work now, some Retail pharmacists have this too)
    Year 2: specialize - i.e. chemotherapy/ organ transplant (required for specialty employment - i.e A cancer clinic at a well respected treatment facility: Cleveland Clinic Cancer Clinic)

Keep in mind:
    -You're investing in the rest of your life! If you start of high school, by your mid-20's you can be pulling in a six figure income. It takes a lot of time, hard work and sacrifice. You have to be a good student that can work hard.

- There are lots of types of pharmacists, not just hospital and Walgreens/ CVS pharmacists. You can do: nuclear, research, US Public Health service, hospice,.

See page 5 of this link.

- You can also do a 2 year pre-pharmacy undergrad program and then a 4 year pharmacy grad school at some schools. All the best schools require a 4 year undergrad degree that satisfies the pharmacy pre-requisite.

- Go work as a pharmacy technician at a hospital or retail store. You'll see what a pharmacist does, and if you want to pursue that career path.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pharmacist researcher [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a pharmacist searching for a chance to get a master scholarship in europe in drug technology,clinical pharmacy,drug modeling or any other pharmaceutical field.Here's my c.v.: C.V. ******** personal information deleted by moderator ********* ...

View more questions Search