Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frefoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Want to install shut-off valves in basement
    All,

I recently had a shower leak, which required shutting off the main water supply to the entire house to fix.

That said I want to install shutoff valves on every plumbing branch in the basement. (Why they were already not installed is another question). :mad:

My plumbing is CPVC which I never dealt with before.

Can I go to Lowe's, buy a CPVC shutoff valve, cut my pipe, prime and glue in the new CPVC shutoff valve?

Or should I be concerned about something when dealing with CPVC?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 05:14 PM

Money is usually why they don't.
    I would install good quality valves, cheap will not save money.
    It's a good idea as you can deal with a plumbing problem and not lose all water.
    I would turn off the breaker to the water heater, open faucets to allow water to drain and relieve pressure, install the valves, let set, then turn off all faucets, turn water back on, turn water heater back on. Check for leaks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Can I go to Lowe's, buy a CPVC shutoff valve, cut my pipe, prime and glue in the new CPVC shutoff valve?
    Sure can! Just remember to purchase CPVC Cement.
    I want to install shutoff valves on every plumbing branch in the basement. (Why they were already not installed is another question).
    Code doesn't require stops on every branch. I live next to the Gulf and we have no basements in my area. All our pipes are under the slab and the manifolds are in the walls so we couldn't even if we wanted to. But I'm for anything that makes service easier. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are all shut off water valves the same? [ 1 Answers ]

Are all shut off water valves the same? I want to change two shut off valves and the house was built on the seventies and that is the reason of my question? I will be looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Replacing shut-off valves [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wanting to replace my shut-off valves for my sink and toilet. If I cut off the current connection, I don't think I'll have enough room for a push connect 1/4-turn valve. The copper pipe is 5/8" wide. The copper pipe shouldn't be showing like this anyway, should it? What can I do? 7106

Shut off valves [ 8 Answers ]

This is my problem. I have moved into an older home and I am doing some remodeling and when I went to remove the countertop and sink in the bathroom, I found that plastic piping came through the floor and directly to the faucets. I wish to put a shut off valve on the plastic pipe after shutting...

Access to shut off valves [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. Thank you[ Manny

Leaky Shut off valves [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open. I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to...

View more questions Search