Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reilly vamplew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Calculating Net Income
    How does further investment by an owner affect the net income?
    Example: Revenues ae $100,000
    Expenses are $50,000
    Owner invests a further $25,000 in the company during the accounting period.
    How do I calculate Net Income and how does the owner's investment effect the net income?
    Thanks
    Pam
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Net Income is Revenues - Expenses.

Owners investment does not affect the Net income.

The net Income is added to the Owners Equity Section in the Balance Sheet as Retained Earnings.

In your example Net Income is $50,000 which is then added to your owners Equity Section of the Balance Sheet using the retained earnings part of the Owners Equity.

The $25,000 investment made by the owner is added directly to the Owners Equity.
    The journal Entry is:
    Debit cash 25,000
    Credit Owners Equity 25,000

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating net income [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am working on a homework problem and need some help... I have a company's balance sheet, which includes retained earnings. My assignment is asking me to calculate net income. I also know the amount of dividents paid out. How can I calculate net income from the information on a...

Calculating net income [ 1 Answers ]

in want to calculate the net income of a company if I have only the number of shares issued by the company, cost per share, mkt value at the end of the year, and cash dividends, and earning per shre? how can I find the net income for that company thankxxxxx

Calculating net income [ 3 Answers ]

Vision Corporation's financial statements for the current year include the following: Income from continuing operations $744,000 Prior period adjustment (increase in prior year net income, net of taxes 228,000 Cash dividends paid to preferred stockholders 242,400 Gain from...

View more questions Search