Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NicoleBreder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Landlord wants to break lease NY
    I have been slightly behind on my rent but have been giving my landlord some every week. Last week I drew up a plan to show him how much money I could give him for the next 3 months - showing him I intend to be paid up to date by April (with the help of my tax check). He told me that he'd have to think about this payment plan (I have no other choice - as I cannot give him anymore regardless of what he wants) but that in the meantime he will be looking into getting us kicked out. We have a 2 year lease with one year to go...
    Is it legal in NY (Brooklyn) for him to do this? And if so, how much notice does he have to give us for us to find somewhere to live.
    Nicole
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Hello Nicole:

Sure it's legal. If you're ONE day behind in your rent, he can evict you. Once he starts it, the process could take a month depending on several factors.

Seems to me, it would be cheaper for you to pay now, rather than move. Go collect cans...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

What happens when landlord doesn't sign lease? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I'm in Austin, Texas. Moved into an apartment 6 weeks ago. Went through the lease with the agent, initialed and signed everything. I asked for a copy of the lease, and was told that the manager needs to sign it, and I should get it a copy in a few days. Fast forward... it's 6 weeks...

Can I The Landlord Break The Lease In Fl [ 4 Answers ]

I have a property in miami fl I rented it out but want to break the lease to sale All the tenates gave me was a security deposit and first month and has been paying late for the last six months what can I do

Can a Landlord Break Their Own Lease? From Wisconsin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We've been having problems with quiet enjoyment in our new apartment home. We have neighbors next door to us with a surround sound system. The repetitive base noise has made living here very difficult to enjoy. Additionally, we have adjoining porches with this neighbor. They smoke on their...

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search