Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amhpuser09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 09:21 AM
    What is advantage of "first year choice" for dual-status resident(single NOT married)
    Consider the following:
    1. Person was a USA dual status resident as of end of Dec 30, 2008 (resident alien for just 1 day, Dec 31, 2008 per Substantial Presence Test)
    2. As of today (Feb 20, 2009) this SINGLE person (still in the US) is eligible to "make first year choice" since he/she meets the two conditions (31 days in a row in 2008 AND 75% presence rule). Note, this person is SINGLE.

Question. What is the advantage of making the "first year choice" in this case (more specifically is there any benefit related to the standard deduction ?)

Can a person claim the standard deduction ($5450 for 2008) ? What confuses me is that really you are a "dual-status" resident choosing to be treated as a "resident alien"... but tax rules (chapter 6 of publication 519, topic "Restrictions for dual status tax payers, point #1) clearly state that dual status residents are NOT eligible to claim the standard deduction on the 1040.

If one cannot claim std. deduction, is the possible advantage just to file a simpler return (only one 1040 instead of 1040 + 1040NR as a dual status) ?

I've seen some posts on this forum, advising people to claim standard deduction when "making the first year choice as a SINGLE person", but I don't understand on what basis.

Any help/explanation would be awesome. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
    You do not meet the criteria for filing under First Year Choice to file dual-status because you did not have at least 31 consecutive days in resident status. Further, to file as a resident alien, you must be married.

BOTTOM LINE: You are a non-resident alien and should file as such, filing Form 1040NR-EZ plus Form 8843 if you were under a F-1 or J-1 visa in 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 year choice and Dual status [ 5 Answers ]

I worked under OPT (F1) from Jan 07 until May 07. Then came back to the US as H1B in October 07 and never left the US and will meet the substantial presence test in 08 (currently on extension period). I'm planning elect the 1 year choice, how do I file my taxes for 2007? Can I file dual-status...

L1B and L2, first year choice, dual-status [ 1 Answers ]

My situation as mentioned below: I am an Indian citizen and came to US on 01th August 2007 on L1B Visa with my husband(in L2 visa) and kid (2.5 yrs, in L2 visa). I got my SSN and we have applied EAD for my husband in January 08, expecting to come around April08 1st week and thereafter I can...

NR full year married to dual status Resident [ 6 Answers ]

I was in F1 for the full year 2005. My wife was in F1 till July 2005, after which she was in H1. Our tax agent advised us to fill 1040 i.e. residents, married filing jointy for 2005. Though we received our returns, looking at the current posts I feel we filed the wrong return. I know we were...

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Dual Status or First Year Choice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from Jan 2006 - March 2006, then OPT from March 2006 - Sep 2006. Started working on OPT in Apr 2006 and got my H1 from Oct 2006. I got married in Dec 2006, but my wife joined me in USA on Jan 2007 from India. She had her H1 stamped in India in Nov 2006, and her I94 is dated...

View more questions Search