Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiernanmunro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Someone using a webcam spying on me in my bedroom
    My roommate's son put a webcam in my bedroom without my knowing it. Then, I could hear him and his friends talking about what I was doing. They're basically trying to drive me crazy plus threatening me with violence. Laws in US?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 10:25 AM
    If you haven't moved it yet and destroyed evidence.. call the cops...
    kiernanmunro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
    I couldn't find it and they kept saying, "I can't believe he can't see it" It's most likely moved now, I left but still have to get my stuff. They probably recorded some stuff on their pc's though
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
    No its not legal... but in order to do anything you either need to have the camera found or a copy of the recorded video... (which also would have to be tied to them as well. Basically evidence of it having occurred.

But in all honesty, it might still be best to talk with a cop... and file a report...

Webcams aren't that big but they can be found if you look hard enough... pinhole cameras on the other hand... can be exceptionally hard to locate. But also very hard to remove in a hurry.

If they are caught and convicted... they would likely go to jail.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    No its not legal....but in order to do anything you either need to have the camera found or a copy of the recorded video....(which also would have to be tied to them as well. Basically evidence of it having occured.

But in all honesty, it might still be best to talk with a cop...and file a report...

Webcams arent that big but they can be found if you look hard enough...pinhole cameras on the other hand...can be exceptionally hard to locate. But also very hard to remove in a hurry.

If they are caught and convicted...they would likely go to jail.
    Of course they will go to jail. It is a FEDERAL offence. Is it not?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Illegal surveillance laws are local, not federal. Look at the case of the rutgers student who harassed his roommate into jumping off a bridge: Rutgers webcam spying case: Dharun Ravi - Los Angeles Times
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Of course they will go to jail. It is a FEDERAL offence. Is it not?
    Likely go to jail and definitely go to jail are not the same. As ScottGem mentioned above... those are State crimes... not Federal.

Howevern the cops would even know about it unless she reports it. If they did it once... they will likely do it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schools spying on students [ 28 Answers ]

Lower Merion PA School District (RICH VERY RICH) is allegedly spying on their students. They issued laptops and are able to access the web cams and look in on the student when ever they want when the laptop is turned on. Just wanted to know what you as parents (or even if you don't have kids like...

How can I connect a nonmac webcam to Mac webcam? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop that has a webcam, I want to know how I can chat with a friend that has a mac computer. It hasn't worked so far, can I?

Computer spying [ 2 Answers ]

I just got FIOS and it's great but this is the firt time I had wireless. I had a few friends over for the 4th and we started talking and I asked if Its possible for people to see what I'm looking at on my computer somehow And one guy says it is possible, I argued about it and he could not...

Email Spying [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to find out if someone is reading my email and who it might be? They could possibly know my password. I know I can change it, but it's tied to lots of things I do.

View more questions Search