Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brettzie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Cannot Remove Toilet Fill Valve
    Hi,

I have been trying to remove and replace a plastic fill valve for a couple of days with no luck. No matter what I try, nothing seems to work.

When I tried to remove the lock nut on the bottom (outside of the toilet), the fill valve just spun with it. I have tried holding the fill valve with a wrench while loosening the nut, but every time the plastic has just cracked (pictures below).

At this point, I've cut the coupling nut off with a hacksaw, but am still left with the lock nut tightly in place. And the fill valve on the inside has broken all the way down to the bottom, so I'm left with very little surface to work with on both the inside and outside.

I've tried to grab the plastic left on the inside with pliers and crack it off, but now it just won't crack, and I can barely get the pliers underneath it. I'm thinking about trying to melt it somehow, but I don't know...

Anybody have some advice?

Thanks, Brett

Pictures Below:

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2012, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brettzie View Post
    Hi,

I have been trying to remove and replace a plastic fill valve for a couple of days with no luck. No matter what I try, nothing seems to work.

When I tried to remove the lock nut on the bottom (outside of the toilet), the fill valve just spun with it. I have tried holding the fill valve with a wrench while loosening the nut, but every time the plastic has just cracked (pictures below).

At this point, I've cut the coupling nut off with a hacksaw, but am still left with the lock nut tightly in place. And the fill valve on the inside has broken all the way down to the bottom, so I'm left with very little surface to work with on both the inside and outside.

I've tried to grab the plastic left on the inside with pliers and crack it off, but now it just won't crack, and I can barely get the pliers underneath it. I'm thinking about trying to melt it somehow, but I don't know...

Anybody have some advice?

Thanks, Brett

Pictures Below:

Easy fix. Simply take your hack saw and cut the plastic lock nut, Just cut one side and peel the nut off,\. Good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet fill valve is stuck, any ideas how to remove it? *Newbie* [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to install a new 'Korky toilet fill valve and premium flapper' in my 81yr old dad's toilet.. I have never done this before, I shut off the water under the tank and removed the nut under the old fill valve, however when I attempt to remove the old fill valve only part of it comes...

How do remove old fill valve with no plastic nut? [ 5 Answers ]

I agree with Annie, what a great forum! I thought changing the fill valve would be easy breezy. There is no plastic connecting nut under the tank. It's all metal. The tube is metal as well. I've loosened the metal nut as far as I can so that the old fill valve wiggles. But I don't know how to...

Replacing toilet fill valve - unable to remove [ 63 Answers ]

Hello, I am so glad to have found this most informative plumbing forum. I am attempting to replace the insides of our 23-year-old toilet. Our other 2 toilets have newer components, so I thought I'd tackle replacing this myself. I've seen multiple online videos on how to repair a toilet....

Fill valve for toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve and flapper in toilet, but when I turned on the Water, it does not fill up the tank quickly. There is water through the Tube, but it jut "trickles" into the tank!

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

View more questions Search