Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carr911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Sewer smell in bathroom sink
    When I turn on the water in my bathroom sink it will run water for a few seconds then get a sewer smell for about 5 to 10 seconds then goes away? Any ideas.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Is the smell worse with hot or cold water or does it come out of the drain? Back to you, Tom
    PGerard Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carr911
    When I turn on the water in my bathroom sink it will run water for a few seconds then get a sewer smell for about 5 to 10 seconds then goes away? Any ideas.
    This sounds sort of similar to an issue I was having at one time. I later found out that the smell was not related to my turning on the water at all... it was always there whether the water was running. The problem in my case, and this is a brand new house, is that the plumber who did the bathroom installed a sink with an overflow, but installed a solid drain in the sink. This meant the water that ended up in the overflow could not get into the drain and evacuate, so it stayed there and became stagnant, thereby smelling really bad. Simply replacing the sink drain with one that had the hole to allow the water in the overflow to escape has solved my issue.

Just a thought... perhaps it may help.
    Robert Donahue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carr911 View Post
    I had the same problem with my up stair sink for almost a year and finally upon a wild guess I removed the trap leading to a horizontal exit in the wall, this line was 3/4 loaded with gunk. After cleaning it out every thing was fine. I hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell in Bathroom Sink [ 5 Answers ]

There has been a sewer like smell in my bathroom sink and has been there since I purchased the house last May. I have two sinks but the smell seems to be coming from only one sink. Hot water and baking soda helped for a while but the smell has come back. Any suggestions for a permanent...

Sewer smell in basement bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

I'm moving in a couple of months, but the house I'm renting right now has a really strong sewer smell coming from the shower drain, sink drain, and the drain for the washing machine, all in the basement. It's worse when the washing machine is running, but you can smell it pretty much all the time....

Sewer smell in my bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I have a terrible sewer smell in my bathroom. It started when the weather got really cold a day or so ago. I think it is coming from the bathtub drain. All of my drains are running very well but a new issue developed when I flush the toilet. You can hear it sucking the water out of the pea trap...

One bathroom sink in house smells like a sewer [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2 story home, 1 year old, crawl space, no basement. Our main level 1/2 bath is the only bathroom in the house that smells like a sewer when the water in the sink is turned on. I can usually only smell it when the water is running, and it seems to be getting worse over time. We...

View more questions Search