Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PJJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 02:19 PM
    2001 Dodge Durango overheating
    Auxiliary heating pump went bad. Durango overheated. Had it towed and the pump was replaced. I drove it home and it overheated again. Checked the reservoir and there was no circulation of fluid in reservoir and the fluid in the reservoir was cold! Heater hose from top of radiator was warm to touch. Thermostat? Water pump? How do I check?
    Pete
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 3, 2006, 02:24 PM
    My usual first guess is the thermostat as that is usually the first thing to go in older model vehicles. Usually the way you can tell is how it was acting before it overheated the first time. If you noticed it gradually running warmer over a period, and then finally blowing, that is usually the thermostat. If it was running fine and all the sudden blew, it may be the waterpump. Hard to tell without getting under the hood though.
    DLSith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Get it to the shop now! It's the thermostat. I had the same problem with my 2000 DD. But I tried driving it home cause we were stuck on the highway. Bad idea. Ended up actually overheating the engine block and had to get the whole thing replaced.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Don't drive the vehicle to the dealer--have it towed. Even having an aluminum head engine overheat once greatly increases the probability of warping the heads, damaging the head gasket and valves, and developing anti-freeze and oil return problems. Cooling problems tend to develop in cars that have not had their anti-freeze changed every 2 years. Make sure to only use a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze recommended by Dodge for your vehicle and distilled water. Tap, well, and softened water can cause a host of problems, ranging from mineral build-up in thermostats and radiator tubes to leaching solder (softened water). There are major differences in anti-freeze today and only use what the manufacturer specifies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge Ram overheating [ 11 Answers ]

?? I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that recently needed the water pump replaced. After replacement the truck kept overheating. I then took the liberty to replace the thermostat as well. I replaced the fan & clutch assembly as well. As far as hardware is concerned, that leaves only the radiator...

Overheating problem in 1992 Dodge B250 van [ 5 Answers ]

I have a van that still has an overheating problem though it has been to the shop. The places that did the repairs replaced one of the heater hoses and the bypass hose which fixed the initial problem of overheating and leaking coolant. The leaking has not occurred since then. However, the...

2000 Dodge Durango w/code p0320 and p0700 [ 2 Answers ]

My Dodge Durango recently has been occasionally not starting and sometimes it bucks while driving. The codes are p0320 and p0700. I looked these codes up and found the p0320 was crankshaft position sensor reference signal can not be found while the engine is cranking. And from what I've seen for...

96 Dodge Ram Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

My brother has a 96 Dodge Ram that keeps overheating after going a few miles. He has replaced the thermastate, water pump, and clutch band. The radiator is only a year old. The water levels are fine. There is no blowed head. Why is this truck still running hot?

View more questions Search