Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Mar 24, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Old wives tales
    Anyone have any interesting old wives tales about pregnancy that they can share... I'm trying to see if any gender pretiction ones are accurate for twins... lol.. before we go in for the u/s that will tell us.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Here's one for ya: If you have heartburn then it will be a hairy boy.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2006, 03:05 PM
    From

http://www.spheri.ca/baby.html

Some people believe that you can predict your baby's sex by mixing your urine with a little Drano.

If the fetal heart rate is under 140 beats per minute (BPM), it's a boy.

Carrying low or forward means a boy; high or back means a girl.

What you eat before conceiving can affect the sex of your child.

If you want a boy?
    Eat more meat (the redder the better).
    Stick with salty snacks - pretzels, chips, and so on.
    Dads-to-be: Stock up on soda (especially cola drinks).

If you want a girl
    Both partners should eat lots of fish and veggies.
    Give in to your chocolate craving (or just eat sweets in general).
    Caring for babies and toddlers and general pregnancy tales:

Eating too much watermelon will make your child be born with a birth mark.

Don't breastfeed a toddler during pregnancy because the new baby needs all the nourishment it can get.

Giving Birth: It is better to cut than tear.

If you deny a pregnant woman the food she craves you will get a stye.

From

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/myths/a/aa042299.htm

You need to drink plenty of water or the baby will get dirty in its sac of water.

If you hold your hands above your head you'll strangle the baby with the umbilical cord.

Pregnant women shouldn't take baths.

From

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancya...667469,00.html

The coffee myth - If a baby is born with café au lait spots (light-brown birthmarks), the mother drank too much coffee or had unfulfilled cravings during pregnancy.

This site also mentions the "great sex" myth and that there's some scientific truth to it maybe. Our certified nurse midwife also mentioned this... sex as a means to induce labor. She also mentioned deep lunges, which DID help my wife start contractions.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Mar 24, 2006, 04:44 PM
    One that I heard when I was pregnant was if you carry the baby rather high during pregnancy.. like a little shelf.. u were having a boy.. and if you carry on the lower side, your having a girl. My first pregnant. I carried very low and ended up having a girl. But with my 2nd I carried much higher and had another girl. So I really think that one isn't true. But its still kind of neat to hear about.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Mar 24, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    Some people believe that you can predict your baby's sex by mixing your urine with a little Drano.

The Drano test work for me, the ultrasound said I was having a boy, and the Drano test said I was having a girl, well, I believed the ultra sound and bought all blue, every thing blue. I had a girl, turns out the umbilical cord was in a spot that she appeared to be a boy. Keep in mind it was all in fun with the drano test. It was funnier when when Kevin Jr wound up being Devan with bows, dresses, blue eyes and daddy sitting on the front porch with a shot gun keeping the boys away. Ha she is 15 now, and at this point I am glad she was not a boy, she is my best friend (O:
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Mar 24, 2006, 07:46 PM
    Thanks guys... so I'm kind of half and half on the whole boy girl tests... lol... who knows one of each? Any guesses?? Think I'll add a poll to this thread... Just for fun. We get some very serious questions on here and a little fun is nice once in awhile and since I still have six weeks until I can attempt to find out then why not... and since I'm having twins ask me any questions that you want to gain some insight into your answer...
    Ok so I've forgotten how to start a poll. Lol... can anyone help?
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Mar 29, 2006, 12:03 AM
    Use a dowsing method. It is remarkably accurate at nearly 45% accurate. Dowsing is an old art, often used to find water. Take a ring like your wedding etc and tie it to a string. Hold it still and say "which is my yes" and the ring will spin in some direction. Ask questions you know the answer to, is xxx my name, am I xx years old etc and see if the ring spins yes each time. When you get a good yes to no ratio begin asking the real questions. Try it at various times of the day and record your answers. It will soon add up to xx yes's xx no's. You will then have a better percentage idea of the probable outcome.

Hypatia
    fathom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    from

SEO | Search Engine Optimization Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

If the fetal heart rate is under 140 beats per minute (BPM), it's a boy.

Carrying low or forward means a boy; high or back means a girl.

What you eat before conceiving can affect the sex of your child.

If you want a boy?
    Eat more meat (the redder the better).
    Stick with salty snacks - pretzels, chips, and so on.
    Dads-to-be: Stock up on soda (especially cola drinks).

If you want a girl
    Both partners should eat lots of fish and veggies.
    Give in to your chocolate craving (or just eat sweets in general).
    Caring for babies and toddlers and general pregnancy tales:

Eating too much watermelon will make your child be born with a birth mark.

Don't breastfeed a toddler during pregnancy because the new baby needs all the nourishment it can get.

Giving Birth: It is better to cut than tear.

If you deny a pregnant woman the food she craves you will get a stye.

from

Old Wives Tales

You need to drink plenty of water or the baby will get dirty in its sac of water.

If you hold your hands above your head you'll strangle the baby with the umbilical cord.

Pregnant women shouldn't take baths.

from

12 old wives' tales about pregnancy: iVillage

The coffee myth - If a baby is born with cafe au lait spots (light-brown birthmarks), the mother drank too much coffee or had unfulfilled cravings during pregnancy.

this site also mentions the "great sex" myth and that theres some scientific truth to it maybe. our certified nurse midwife also mentioned this... sex as a means to induce labor. she also mentioned deep lunges, which DID help my wife start contractions.
    The reference at Spheri.ca is now at » Baby Pregnancy Old Wives Tales Babies Tale

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Things That wives do to make their husbands mad [ 2 Answers ]

Ok her is the question. Things that wives do to make husbands mad. 1. Hunny make some tea.(As the wife is 2 feet from the stove and your in another room or she calls you in from outside) 2. When she uses all the hot water 3. Her fav. Race car driver is Jeff Gordon (And yours is A Diff. racer)...

SHirt Tales? Get Along Gang? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I grew up in the 80's and there was this cartoon with many different animals that had shirts on, and they would say different words depending on their moods (I think) Was this show called "Shirt Tales" or the "Get Along Gang"? I think the Get Along Gang was a different cartoon with animals...

View more questions Search