Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christian90 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Nephew with a clean record needs a green card.
    My nephew is 18 he's been living here 4 almost 7yrs he graduated high school last summer he has a clean record not even a traffic ticket and he needs his social security # so he could get a good job n maybe continue his education.
    How can we help him get it?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 12:23 PM

What is is current status? How did he enter US?
    christian90 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    What is is current status? How did he enter US?
    He has a visa and a passport...
    Claire58 Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

Apr 2, 2009, 04:15 PM

He should go to the nearest social security office and they'll give him a list of documents he he needs in order to apply for a social security #
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 05:36 PM

Being in US for 7 years does not automatically allow him to obtain SSN unless he has legal status such as LPR (lawful permanent resident or simply known ad greencard).

Social Security Administration no longer issue SSN to those with temporary visas. At present SSN are issued to LPR and those with employment visas only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Green card with criminal record travel oversea [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my criminal records, finally I got my green card update to new one . Can I travel outside of the U.S ? Or I am at risk of being detain/process to be deport.

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

Clean record but now a felon [ 7 Answers ]

Hey anyone got adult children out there that could answer this question? My daughter was living with a man for eight years. She has always been a good person... never in any trouble with anyone. This guy abuses her, she tries to get some help from different services... no luck... tries a victims...

View more questions Search